NINE.

"There was tension between you and Jin during class," Shun observed, "what, did you two kiss or do the deed?"

Get your eyes checked! Y/n fumed.

"No," Y/n deadpanned, "I suggest you get your eyes checked. The only tension here is between me and the knife. I'm seconds away from slaughtering you for even insinuating that. And if you forgot, I'm not your friend, Shun."

"Aw," Shun clapped her hands, "look at you. Growing up so fast. You and Jin will be a perfect match. Why, you are even becoming homicidal yourself—"

It took only a few seconds for Y/n to realize Shun was as annoying as his master. Even Jessi hasn't been that bad. Even Nadia wasn't that bad. How did he even end up in this situation? It reminded Y/n faintly of those K-Drama situations where the main character was bribed by some wealthy mother in law to drop her son, but in this case, it was a little different.

Y/n and Shun were sitting in the cafe, and Shun was basically begging for Y/n to accept the offer—to give Jin a chance. He suspected he was doing this behind Jin's back—Y/n couldn't ever see the arrogant golden dragon asking someone to wingman him. The only reason why Y/n agreed was because he could kill two birds with one stone. His mother had returned, and he figured it would be genius if he lured her here, dumped her with Shun, and skedaddled out of the cafe. Of course, not while getting his money's worth.

"I'm paying for it," Shun had wheedled, "so hear what I have to say. I hear money is the way to the heart." If Shun was the one giving Jin romantic advice, then Y/n could understand. But admittedly, money was the way to the heart. Wasn't that the first factor that had drawn Y/n to Aruna, besides the looks?

(Well, Aruna was literally a gentleman. Who wouldn't fall for him?)

Just then, the cafe bell rang, and Y/n's heart immediately sunk into the bottom of his stomach. He swallowed, biting his lip as he glanced at the door. There was an unfamiliar smell of perfume—yet since it was Dior, Y/n instantly knew who it was. She buys expensive things, and doesn't care about sending money to her only son. Ugh. Incorrigible.

His mother — who, by the way, had not made an effort to see him after years.

"Hello," Y/n smiled, eye twitching, "oh look, a stranger is in front of me." He grinned at Shun. "This is mommy dearest," He drawled, "I thought maybe, you know, you could get her approval, instead of mine."

Shun looked back and forth in horror.

"Will you fix those manners of yours?" His mother snapped, looking at the drink on the table, "really, it's atrocious. And black coffee? You know I hate that. It tastes like battery acid."

"Oh well." Y/n gave a dramatic sigh, "I mean, who was there to teach me manners? Not you, for sure." He swirled the coffee in the cup.

Shun looked very entertained by the conversation they were having. And a,so half mortified.

"Um, nice to meet you, Miss." Shun coughed awkwardly. "Your son is a wonderful human."

Her eyes narrowed into slits. "Human? An odd choice of words."

"Make it quick." Y/n interrupted, giving a huge, exasperated sigh, "what do you want? If you want to show me off to your friends, sorry—I don't have the grades for that. Do you want a hug? A pat on the shoulder? Oh look, it's my dear mother! make way for the queen!"

"Don't talk to your mother like that." She said weakly. "Look at how Aira treats her mother."

Maybe because Aira's mother is a sweetheart. Go figure!

"Only when you start acting like one," Y/n replied, amused, "get to the point. I'm busy."

"I wanted to see how my only son was doing," His mother emphasized, "tell me all about your life! Any new girls? Any new friends?" It was a stupid routine, really — where his mother would try so hard to fit in the role she never took.