Chapter 19 Two Letters

Getting back to Daniel's place brought comfort. Katherine and Daniel spent the remainder of the day cooking up lunch,  as the restless night they had made them both uneasy and regaining strength felt vital. 

Later in the evening there was an important conversation to come up. They thought talking the matter over  at the terrace under a starry night sky wrapping up into warm blankets would keep all the worries of the day at bay. 

- Daniel, - Katherine began - I told you early in the day that you are the person I can rely on.

- Yes, you did. - Daniel agreed.

- There is something I'm finally ready to share with you.

- I'm all ears.

- My dad sent me an email right before his dissappearance, I presume.

- What sort of an email? - Daniel inquired.

- The one concerning the gems and your help. - Katherine picked up her laptop handing it to Daniel so that he could look into the letter. - I wasn't able to share it earlier, as it wasn't clear enough for me if I could trust you, but doing it now feels right.

Having looked through the email carefully, Daniel spoke up:

- Seems like it was a precaution. Perhaps, Prof.Winters was aware of him being watched. I've also received an email where he informs me on the situation and asks to keep an eye on you and get in touch in case of emergency. - Daniel handed Katherine his phone.

The message read: 

Daniel, as a man of honour, my best student and a friend, promise me something. Katherine, my sweet daughter. My onlyf child. She's the best thing I have in life. 

Reading these lines caused a lump in Katherine's throat. 

If I don't make it out of this madness, make sure you are her safe harbor. There are not many people left whom I can trully trust. The people who have been watching me for some time now will stop at nothing and I will never forgive myself if any harm comes to Katherine.

Upon reading the letter Katherine handed over the phone, still processing the content of the email: - So, you sitting at the Grand Cafe was no coincidence? - surprise touching her features.

- It wasn't. - Daniel confirmed. - I've been tracking you down from the moment I received the message.

- Jesus... Well, is there anything else I have to know?

It feels as if I ended up in some spy novel. 

- Nothing you should be worried about.

 - Good to hear. I must say, your timing was perfect. These two gorrillas could have seized me and stash me to an undisclosed location if not for your immediate interference. 

- If I was not on duty, I would still get you out of trouble as any honourable man would do.

- What will we do now? We're tight with time. Only few days left for us to locate the gems. We have to make a move, but where to start? 

- I suggest we go to the bank and collect whatever your father has put into the safe deposit box. It might shed light on the location of the gems.

- Good place to start with. - Katherine agreed.

- Unless, of course, your current condition allows.

- I'm ready more than ever. There's no time to lose. My dad's life is at stake. If we fail, I'll never forgive myself. - despair readible in Katherine's voice.

Sitting closer, Daniel squeezed Katherine's hand: - Don't even let such thoughts cross your mind. I'll ensure our success whatever it takes.

They shared a reassuring and warm hug.

Feeling his warm breath and strong arms securing her, was of comfort.