Chapter 1: The Slave

Despite the language barrier that divided the countryside slaves, everyone knew that the carriage making its way up the cobblestone path brought nothing but dread and suffering. Before those dark eyes could spot her, Hernietta's back pressed against the cobblestone arch. The movement earned a slight tap against her throat from the slave tag. The horses slow to a still. Another one? She clenched her chest. So soon?

The driver's eyes, after searching a little bit longer, flickered away from the home. With a grunt, he leaped off and made his way around. Wooden doors thrust open and yelling filled the air. The woman wrestled from the carriage was at least twenty years old, barely even a woman. Long black hair flowed down her shoulder, while her sun kissed skin was draped in soiled sheep cloth and human waste. A slave collar reflected the sun's rays.

Daggered words left the woman's lips before her lips puckered. Saliva hit the man's forehead and dribbled down slowly. Hadriana's eyes widened. Oh no. Red bloomed across the man's face. "You worthless beast!" Smack. The woman's pain cry was silenced when his hand yanked her closer to his glaring eyes. "You'll learn real quick not to mess with a Roman."

Hadriana's nails dug into the cement. If I don't stop him, Calvus will kill her. Turning quickly, she hurried through the front doors. In the darkness of his office, hunched over a wooden table, a man in his later years wrote furiously.

"Master," Hadriana lowered her head. "Calvus has returned with a new slave for the estate."

The quill paused. "And this regards me how?"

"He is being a little rough with her, sir." Feeling his gaze snapped to her, she lowered to her knees. "I fear she won't be much use to the estate if she is damaged."

She didn't dare glance up at the slight creak of the chair. Footsteps came closer until she could see the master's shoes in front of her.

"Very well," he finally spoke. "Prepare a new place for her but be quick." As the shoes disappeared from view, Hadriana didn't breathe until she was sure he was gone. Pushing herself up, she swallowed.

That's all I can do for now.

Releasing a small sigh, she headed back the way she came. Stepping through the double doors, she slowed to a stop near the column.

"I'm just teaching this one some manners." Calvus sneered at the woman. Hadriana didn't miss the way his grip tightened on her arm. "After all, she seems like she'll be a feisty one."

"Then she will face the same punishment as everyone else." Her master huffed. "Let her go."

With a twisted snarl, his hold on the new slave loosened. Hadriana stepped forward. "If you would follow me please." The woman's head tilted at Hadriana in confusion. Thankfully, she seemed to trust her more than the two men as she followed Hadriana without a word.

"You shouldn't have spat in his face."

Instantly, the woman's eyes widened. "You speak Catalan?"

Hadriana hummed in response. "You're lucky the master is in a good mood." Her eyes narrowed on her. "He could have let Calvus punish you or worse." Her eyes narrowed. "It would be in your best interest to do everything the master tells you to do." Her gaze flickered toward the fields. Slaves worked on tending to the fields upon fields of wheat. She turned her head away when one of the slaves dropped to his knees. "You do not want to get on the master's bad side."

A whip crackled in the distance. Sensing the woman's pause, Hadriana looked over her shoulder. Her dark eyes scanned everything in. She didn't miss the growing wall of mist. "Tears will not help you." She knew first hand how useless they were. "They do not care if you cry or scream. They will force you to work and fulfill their needs if they so as pleased."