𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥

CHAPTER SIX
Gold Tragedy

Many felt comfort from their family. Many had parents or a parent that loved them. Many had the luxury of not worrying about anything other than what to eat or getting somewhere on time. But Preston Winchester didn't. She had to worry about her every move.

    Some parents told their kids that the monster underneath their bed or in their closet wasn't real and helped the kid overcome that fear by shining a light on the area. John Winchester didn't do that. The monsters lurking in the shadows and daylight were very much real, and he intended on making Preston's life a living hell from it.

    He had handed her a knife and ironically turned her into a monster from the second she was brought into the cruel and twisted world. He had quite a few rules when it came to surviving: don't get attached to anything, don't complain, don't seek attention, don't leave, don't talk back, kill monsters, and don't waste a bullet. Those rules always haunted Preston.

    When Preston was younger, her hair was dark brown and she was now wearing an old, worn-out army green jacket that was a size too big for her, but she wore it. If she said anything or complained, John would just get pissed. And Preston was just trying to survive. That's all she cared about in life at eight years old. The cut on her right cheek was proof of that, and the scars on her wrist from broken whiskey bottles were proof of that.

    Thankfully, John was out on a case and the Winchester siblings were left in Dean's care while he was out. Preston saw flashes of symbols, but she also saw a quick flash of a man that she'd later find out was Enzo, but she barely got to see the man in the vision.

    Dean walked over to his little sister with a cardboard box in his hands. "I managed to use the card to get some pizza. Sam and I already had ours. Eat what you want, Pres." Dean told her with a smile, ruffling her hair, messing it up.

    Preston smiled, scrunching up her nose. She opened the box to see cheese pizza. She didn't really like any other toppings. She just added loads of salt to it and started eating the pizza happily while Dean sat down across from her. Sam was sleeping on one of the beds.

    Dean swore he'd never hurt Preston. He couldn't. It was like having his own kid. He smiled slightly when she aggressively wiped the corners of her mouth with her sleeve to get rid of the pizza sauce. "Son of a bitch." She muttered.

    Dean had to use all of the strength he had just to stop himself from laughing. Sam woke up a few minutes after, looking at a crumpled up piece of paper that he had scribbled over and he threw it out.

    "What's that?" Preston asked Sam.

    "Nothing. It doesn't matter." Sam replied, not wanting to get into the argument of wanting to go to college.

    Preston furrowed her brows, not believing her older brother.

    Dean quickly hid the pizza box as they heard the Impala pull up to the motel parking lot. John gruffly entered the motel room, throwing something around. Preston shifted in the seat, wiping the hint of a smile she had previously off of her face.

    "Preston! Get up." John ordered.

    Dean stood up, going to intervene, but John stopped him. "Stay out of this, Dean." John aggressively grabbed Preston by her forearm to get her outside. He closed the door and made them go to the car.