45

44 - The Light of Two Sparks

HADEN

           The evening air brushed against my fur as I made my way to the northern border, the last bit of sun disappearing beyond the horizon. I'm really getting sick and tired of all these fucking rogue attacks. It's like they were all in an uproar, wanting to challenge me every chance they fucking got.

The lush, green landscape was surrounded by darkness, my paws pushing me further and further into the forest to meet up with the wolves on the other side. My ears perked up for any sign of an attack, knowing that I had to be fully alert in situations like this.

My steps were purposeful, each one accompanied by the soft rustle of leaves and the occasional whisper of wind through the trees.

Alpha, they're saying they were invited here, one of the men patrolling the border mind-linked me.

Invited here? By who? I growled.

Prince Alexander sir, he replied.

Why on Earth would Alex... wait a minute. Alex mentioned wolves coming in the North but I totally forgot about them coming in.

Someone get Alex on the phone to confirm. Now, I demanded, pushing myself further.

The air was tense when I got there. I shifted, grabbing a pair of shorts from one of the men standing in line. I moved through the men at the border who bowed their heads in respect, my eyes searching the stretch of land before landing on the rogues walking towards us.

Two rogues, a man and a woman, led the charge of wolves behind them, their faces expressionless. My eyes scanned the numbers, counting about forty wolves dragging their feet across the forest floors.

The man, a stoic figure, seemed unfazed by the scrutiny, while the women exuded an air of impatience. I stepped forward, my gaze shifting between them.

"You rogues are trespassing," I immediately growled at them.

They tried to step closer but the wolves beside me growled at them. The women glared at them but said nothing, it was the man who started.

"We're not rogues," he said roughly. I could hear the power in his voice, feel it radiating through the air. His eyes ran across the line of wolves in front of him before landing on mine and stringing out a sigh, raising his bulky arms in the air.

"We are not here to fight you," he claimed as he took another step, pausing at the growls from my men. "My name is Greyson Otaire and this is Harley Embers. Our lands were attacked by the Rogue King. Your brother, Prince Alexander said you would provide us with refuge to the wolves who managed to escape."

I studied the weariness etched on Greyson's face, the toll of battles fought. If anyone knew that look – that feeling of helplessness – it was me. Narrowing my eyes at him, I chose not to respond to his claims and sized up the wolves behind him. He was calm and level-headed as if knowing he had nothing to worry about. And I'd recognize that stance from anywhere.

"You're an Alpha," I pointed out, wanting him to know that I could feel his power from where I stood.

Matching my gaze, we stood in silence for a minute before he confirmed. "Yes, I am, and so is she," he added, pointing to the woman who stood by his side.

Two Alphas. Marvellous.

Alpha, Prince Alexander has confirmed their identities. They are, in fact, wolves from the northern territories, one of the wolves mind-linked.