un

13th December 2023
07:00 A.M.
Sunshine Public School, Huntsville

Betty Allen was strolling towards her classroom with a much lighter heart, her mind reeling the plans she had for the entire day. After all, it was her seventeenth birthday that day. With a wide grin on her face, she stopped midway and looked outside at the playground. A handful of middle school students were playing volleyball with their coach Mrs Buxbaum.

Just then, she heard a faint sound of footsteps to her right. Yet, she chose not to look around. As the sound became louder and louder, her attention from the volleyball players kept deviating. Before she could think and turn around, she heard someone screaming near her ear.

"Happy Birthday, Betty!" Betty looked around with a jerk. The whiteness in her face faded at the realisation that it was her friend August.

"Asshole! Do you want to die?" Betty raised her voice a little while laughing like a maniac. "I hate you," she added with a pout.

"Awww, I hate you too, baby!" August wrapped Betty in a warm hug and planted a kiss on her straightened crimson-red hair. "Did you dye your hair again?" August looked away to have a clearer peek of her hair.

"Well, I loved the shade a lot. So... I went with it." Betty flipped her short hair as she broke the hug. "Anyways, how do I look?" She held the hem of her dark red satin corset mini dress.

"Hot as fire." August leaned closer and whispered on Betty's face. "Okay, let's go to class." August walked towards her left while gripping Betty's hand.

"Well, why didn't you reply to my message yesterday?" Betty raised her eyebrows.

"I had my sharpshooting classes, baby! Did you forget already? It was Tuesday yesterday." August shrugged her right shoulder while Betty facepalmed for her forgetfulness. "Anyways, what was the message about?"

"Are you free tonight?" Betty repeated what she had texted last night.

"Yeah," August replied. "Why did you ask?"

"I'm planning for a get-together with Emma and... You-Know-Who. And, what is Betty's party with August?" Betty shrugged her shoulders and revealed her plan, referring to You-Know-Who as her ex-best friend Dorothea.

"Slap me tomorrow if I don't make it to the party," August laughed at her joke and looked away from Betty, at the entrances of each classroom. "How is James?"

Betty's feet stopped walking at the mention of her new boyfriend, otherwise known as August's ex-boyfriend. What made her heart beat louder was the one who asked that.

"James is fine. He's happy." Betty let out a chuckle that revealed no expression while August's chuckle was something bitter.

Then, the friends walked in silence, letting their thoughts go wild and free.

***

13th December 2023
04:30 P.M.
Betty's House

"Be serious, August. What do you mean? Why aren't you coming? You said you would, didn't you?" Betty let out a baby-like whine as she received the news of August not joining Betty at her get-together night.

"I wish I could. But, Mr Gonzalez wants me now," August explained, referring to Mr Gonzalez as her sharpshooting coach.

"Ah, fuck that bald-head fatso," Betty muttered under her breath while looking for her brand new, attention-seeking black bodycon.

"Language, Allen! He is my coach, for God's sake!" August's ocean-blue eyes reached heaven as she warned her friend.

"Anyways, come, August!" Betty continued being stubborn.