Chapter One

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗞𝗶𝗻𝗴
▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰

The life at the Lucky Cafe seemed more and more lively, customers flocked every day to taste the sweet creations of Aunt Tess, and as more time passed the more you could realize that two hands were not enough to do everything. So when Tadashi was busy with his lectures and university work, Hiro was there to give her a hand. Morning rush, break, lunch rush, break, afternoon rush, and finally the Cafe doors closed behind Hiro's shoulders with a tired and noisy huff from the boy’s lips. The boy turned the sign to the other side and could finally see the words 'we are open'  with his own eyes, a good thing because it meant that the only thing the people outside the shop could see was the glorious words 'we are closed', but it also reminded him that all this would start again tomorrow. Aunt Tess walked closer and stopped behind him, putting a hand on her nephew’s shoulder

"The day is finally over, huh? Go get some rest, I’ll finish up on my own. And please tell your brother we’re eating early tonight."

Hiro took off his apron soiled with powdered sugar and a few drops of coffee, thus revealing to his unpleasant surprise that a drop had also ended up on his t-shirt staining it.

"Oh come on, It was clean this morning"

He grunted again, clutching the apron in his fist and starting to make his way upstairs. He made a short stop at the laundry room, saw the pile of clothes to wash, and ignored them by putting the object in his hand on the already existing pile and then headed towards his room. The door of the shared bedroom creaked and he pushed it close with the palm of his hand.

"Tadashi"

No answer. The separator they had put to divide the spaces and as an attempt to have more privacy was open. Hiro pushed it slightly to the side looking out on the desk where his older brother was sleeping blissfully, notes over notes spread across it and under his head, headphones in his ears and a pen still standing straight between his fingers as a drop of saliva began to form on the corner of his mouth.
Hiro sighed as he slowly approached him, grabbing the glass of water on the desk and dropping a few drops behind the brother's neck. The cold water managed to wake him up.

"Wha-who? Hiro?"

With a quick move, he first checked the watch on his wrist and then took off his headphones.

"I must have fallen asleep"

"You think so?"

Tadashi made a face that immediately turned into a grin, grabbed his brother, forced Hiro's head under his arm, and then began to mess up his brother’s black hair.

"What a good boy you are Hiro, always caring so much about your big brother"

He said it with a playful tone as the boy’s hair began to look more and more like a bird’s nest. Tadashi immediately got punched in the chest, not strongly enough to hurt him but strongly enough to make him understand that his brother had not appreciated the gesture. And just like that the stupid game ended.

"Next time I won’t even bother waking you up"

The discussion ended and the 17-year-old headed for his side of the room, closing the divider again and taking a seat on the desk, Googling the city’s upcoming botfight rallies. Two weeks had passed since his last bot fight, and for him, it was time to prove his strength in the ring again. The King. That's what people called him, everyone knew his name ever since he was 13 when ,for the first time, he had stepped into the glorious nightlife of San Fransokyo. The first reaction of the crowd was that of a little boy who got lost on the way home but it took just one round to prove his skills. Yama was the name of the previous owner of the bot fight king title. It took him one night to reduce Yama to a cluster of circuits and cables and so the title passed to Hiro’s magnetic robot: Megabot. His name was now famous throughout the whole city so much so that the bot fights he participated in over time became a painful excuse for the bravest to gather and try to beat Megabot. Each time they ended up crushed and so also the dream of becoming the new number one was broken under Hiro's victorious grin. By now the only thing he needed was to find a ride for the night since Tess knew his 'addiction' to botfights and had forbidden him not only to get himself a driving license but also to learn how to ride his brother’s scooter. He needed a solution.