Case 0: Prologue, Chapter 1: Acre of a Detective

POV: Aoi Hinami

February 27th, 2001

This... should be the place right? "Kariko Region Detective Agency"... Yep, this is it. I should meet Head Detective Meycheul inside.

Aoi opens the front door, suddenly seeing a completely collapsed room before it turns back.

Wh- what was that? Maybe I'm just tired.

"Head Detective Meycheul?" Aoi calls out to the person she's supposed to meet.

"Welcome, Ms. Hinami." Head Detective Meycheul replies.

"Since you're applying to be a detective, Here's a list of questions for you to answer."

Head Detective Meycheul hands Aoi a list of questions.

Looks like this list is quite long, it might take a while to finish answering the questions.

"Question Number 1: What do you aspire to do as a detective?" Starting with a question like this? It seems way too early for it but sure. 

Aoi writes down, "To solve the mysteries and cases, bringing the truth to light."

That was a quote from one of my childhood favourite detectives, Aoi says to herself.

Now, "Question Number 2: What's your opinion on memory removal?" Wait, what? That's a weird question... I guess I'll write down that I have no opinion because... Why is this question even here?

Aoi writes down, "No opinion."

After answering many different and vast questions, Aoi turns the list in.

Why do I feel dizzy? Eh, maybe it's just university life.

Aoi falls unconscious.

After waking up, Aoi finds herself on the bench outside of the KRDA.

What happened? Did I faint? I'm pretty sure I was applying to be a detective. However, something feels wrong, like I forgot something important. Hmm, it's probably nothing. It's time for me to head home though.

March 3rd

Looks like I got my first case. It should be an easy one, time to check it out.

Aoi opens the file. Inside it, is some information about a scientist known as Furuyo Tomochika.

Furuyo... Tomochika. I'm pretty sure I've heard of that name before... Oh right! She's one of my classmates! Wait, why is she here? "Needed help: Overworking, and Overexertion", What is this, a Help Guild? Eh, it's my first case after all. It should be simple. 

Aoi went to her university, Akiho University.

Hmm... where is she? She should be here...

Aoi checks in nearly every room in the university, finally checking the 7th Science Room.

W- It's locked. She's got to be in here, probably working on science and other things.

Aoi knocks on the door 3 times. "Hello? Is Ms. Tomochika in here?"

A bit of a straightforward way to do it, but I guess it should be good enough.

A timid voice can be heard from the other side of the door.

"Yes, it's m-me. W-What do you n-need?" Furuyo said from the other side.

"Can I come in?" Aoi said, with a calm tone.