Part 1: The Quiet; Chapter 1

Chapter 1:Friends and Acquaintances

The warm spring sun beamed over District 12 as Madge Undersee walked slowly to school. The pleasant March breeze carried the whiff of delightful fresh pastries from the bakery. After a minute of enjoying the pleasant smell she decided to enter. As Madge walked through the door the bell rang, and she met a tall blonde boy at the counter.
"Good morning Madge" said the boy
"Morning Rye"
Rye, the middle of the three Mellark brothers who own the bakery District 12, grinned.
"Whacha want?" said Rye
"Two cookies please"
"Two? You eating with someone special today" Rye said jokingly
"Not really, just Everdeen as usual." replied Madge
Rye bagged two cookies from a nearby pan and set them on the counter. Just then another blonde boy slightly shorter than Rye came down from the stairs, who mumbled to Rye as he hung up his apron.
"What's got you so down Peets?" Rye jokingly said to the boy after ruffling his hair. The boy just rolled his eyes, and caught sight of Madge.
"Oh hey Madge"
"Hi Peeta, better hurry up if I want to see you in class" Madge said jokingly as she grabbed the cookies and put 4 gold coins on the counter. "Same thing goes for you too, Rye."
"All right all right" replied Rye as the doorbell rang as Madge left the bakery.
The cool air blew in Madge's face as she walked swiftly towards the school, while the loud voices of boys playing a basketball game, and girls cheering them on filled her ears. She made it past the noisy yard, and past the chatting groups of friends.
"I don't have many friends" Madge thought "I really don't have any, maybe one."
She considers everyone who would be remotely close to a friend. There were the Mellark boys, but they were really more family friends that cater to parties and such, they were fun to joke around with but not necessarily get to know. The Cartwrights were the same, and Madge found it hard to make friends with their daughter Delly whose personality is a bunch of bubbles, who Madge found kind of annoying. "Was that really it," Madge thought
Katniss! Of course how could she forget Katniss? Katniss Everdeen, a quiet girl from the Seam, always sat next to Madge in school, and where always parters for group activities. Madge knew that Katniss had another friend, Gale Hawthorne, however he was a grade or two above.
The bell rang just as Madge approached her locker. Hurriedly she grabbed her books and half sprinted to her class. She hurriedly made her way to the back of the classroom to meet her friend sitting at the desk next to hers.

Right as Madge started to greet Katniss the teacher spoke up.
"Good Morning Class, as you know we have been studying Hunger Games history. The assignment for this week will be to partner up and re-create a diorama of a past Hunger Games arena."
At the words "Partner up", Katniss and Madge immediately pointed at each other without hesitation.
"The best three arenas will be entered into the Panem History day fair, in the diorama competition," continued the teacher.Suddenly, the door opened and a panting Peeta entered looking quite worried.
'Sorry Miss Sage, may I join class?"
"Mr. Mellark, one more tardy will get you detention, please sit," sternly relayed Miss Sage as she wrote up a tardy slip and handed it to Peeta.
The whole class began to settle once more as Miss Sage continued. "As I said before the interruption, partner up to create a diorama of a previous Hunger Games arena. Provide a brief description of the area, and a summary of the Games. Best three shall be chosen for the History Fair, this spring. Use the rest of the class period discussing with your partner."
Madge turned to Katniss, who already opened her textbook and flipped through it for ideas. After a small discussion, they decided on the Area for the 55th Hunger Games. The arena looked cold with its half frozen lake and tall snowy mountains. The particular game ended up being one of the less burial, from half dying of the cold.
Katniss spoke up,"There is a pine tree near my house, we can use small branches as trees and cover them with white paint to make it look like snow." Right as she finished her idea the bell rang. Everyone gathered their things quickly to hurry off to the next lesson.
"See you at lunch" said Madge hurriedly to Katniss
"See ya"