Chapter 1

Everyone has a story, and within those tales often lie buried secrets. My mother harbored several skeletons in her closet, a past she couldn't escape. I suspect this is the reason her story was cut short.

"Wake up, Elizabeth. You're not missing the bus again," my dad's voice, once gentle, now pierced the air with urgency. Since my mom's departure, every exchange between us seemed laced with tension. "Just let me sleep in. I'll catch a ride later," I mumbled, noticing the strain etched on his face. For a fleeting moment, I dared to hope for genuine concern. Only to be met with, "fine". Why did I still cling to the illusion of a normal parent-daughter relationship?

Glancing at my phone, 11:27 mocked me beneath Liana's message: "Be there at noon." Liana had been a constant presence in my life, her loyalty is a beacon through the storm of my mother's absence. Memories of our childhood flashed before me, a stark reminder of the void left by my mom's untimely death.

The scene blurred, colors melding into chaos. The liquor I had drunk, making me feel numb. "Lisa! Look at me!" Amidst the clamor, a familiar voice pierced through the haze. A hand reached for my elbow, "Lisa come on it's not safe someone pulled a gun." But disconnected from reality, I lashed out. Refusing to go I swung my hand back the sting of impact jolting me back to awareness. My best friend stood before me, wounded but unwavering. I looked around and there was no one around us. Realization hurt more than my palm. I did that;I hit my best friend. Shame engulfed me as I realized the extent of my actions. "Liana, I'm s-so sorry," I stammered, the numbness replaced by remorse. "Fuck you, Lisa," her words cut through the silence. As she turned to leave, I saw hesitation before she turned and looked at me again. Her hand entwined with mine, guiding me out of the party.

"Get in, I've got to make it to 3rd period," Liana's voice broke through the reverie, grounding me in the present. She could've left me at that party. I had hit her because I was drunk. My actions towards her were beyond wrong, but Liana stayed by my side. She always had. As ASAP Rocky filled the car, I savored the simplicity of the moment. A good song, a light breeze, and a car going too far over the speed limit. Ballen Saint High School loomed ahead, where I once enjoyed, is now a prison. I hate that it's always shielded me from life's real world problems.

Steeling myself, I entered the classroom. Avoiding eye contact as I slunk into my seat. I pulled out my copy of the story 'Macbeth'. I found comfort in the familiar rhythm of Shakespearean verse.

A voice cut through the silence it was the teacher she asked, "Was Macbeth's ambition admirable?" The question hung in the air, unanswered until a newcomer spoke. "Due to his ambition he commits evil acts. There is never a reason for murder and he has no respect from me." His words sparked a debate that drew me out of my self-imposed isolation. , "with all due respect I disagree. I honestly respect Macbeth. He wanted power and did what he had to, with a wife who wanted the same. To get it and then keep it." He turned and faced me with his words. "you are justifying murder for his own personal gain." I felt so human all of a sudden. Just a girl with no problems fighting over a story  "So if you saw a chance at power and higher social rank you wouldn't take it?" He looked at me more intently now and answered, "No. I respect people who deserve what they bring upon themselves" Engaging in discourse, I found myself challenged, intrigued by his unwavering principles.

In his gaze, I glimpsed a mirror reflecting my own convictions. A shared defiance against the constraints of societal norms. As the bell rang, signaling the end of class, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness.