My Purpose

It's a normal day like any other on Mobius. Sonic has gone for his daily run, and nearly bumps into a familiar face.

"Hey Shadow!"

The dark hedgehog only replies distastefully, "Ugh, of course I'd run into you today." Sonic only plays into his rudeness, "I know! Funny right?" "Hilarious," Shadow retorts sarcastically.

Sonic notices a cave behind Shadow. "Hey, is this where you live?" Shadow crosses his arms, and grumbles, "Of course not." However, the blue hedgehog begins approaching the cave, despite what Shadow had said.

Shadow pushes him back, shouting, "Hey!"

After stumbling, Sonic confirms, "Okay so it is where you live. You wouldn't be trying to keep me away from it otherwise." "Leave," Shadow demands. Sonic smirks, and says, "I don't think I will."

Sonic dashes into the cave, and Shadow calls after him. But Sonic ignores him.

"Huh. Surprisingly tidy in here. Even a door," he observes. Catching up to Sonic, Shadow angrily demands, "Get out!" Sonic tries to defend himself by asking, "God Shadow why are you so defensive? Can't I visit a friend's house?" Shadow is quick to reply with reason, "Not uninvited! And we're far from being anywhere near friends!"

After Shadow's jab, Sonic realizes he was wrong for entering someone's home uninvited. He's just so used to it with everyone else he forgot he needed to show proper manners with others. "Okay, okay," he surrenders. "That's my bad, I am intruding. Sorry. How about this?"

Sonic dashes right outside the cave's entrance. He shouts, "Can I come in?" "No," Shadow quickly responds, unfazed. Sonic slouches in defeat, "Damn. I'll see you later then." He dashes away before Shadow replies, "I hope you don't."

~  ~  ~
A day passes.

"Can I come in?"

"No."

~  ~  ~
Another day passes

"Can I please come in?"

"No."

~  ~  ~
A couple days pass

"Can I come in?"

No response.

"Shadow?"

Silence.

"Shadow, you here?"

Not even a shuffle.

"I guess I'll help myself."

Sonic goes inside the cave and tries to look for something that Shadow might be defensive about.

As the days had been going by, Sonic grew curious about Shadow. Why wouldn't he let Sonic inside? Does he really hate Sonic that much? Or is there something he doesn't want people to see? Curiosity got the best of him.

Shadow was returning home from a mission when he saw a familiar blue blob in his house. He was going to shout and pull the hedgehog back, but he saw Sonic opening a door. The very door that was reserved for Shadow, and for Shadow's eyes alone to be able to see inside.

"Stay out of that room!"

Shadow rushed to stop him, but it was already too late.

Sonic stared at the walls covered in photographs. Photographs of one human girl. She had blonde hair and a blue dress. Some newspaper clippings of her face were strewn about as well. Upon bookshelves were stacks and stacks of notebook papers that were covered in handwriting.

Knowing Shadow was behind him, he could only whisper, "Shadow..." His attention was glued to the walls of the small room.

Shadow yanked Sonic by the arm, out of the room, and growled, "Get out." Sonic only glances back in the room, asking, "What is all this?"