Chapter 1: In villa cantabri - a rewrite

I rewrote the story cantabri from chapter 15 to make sabina like lucilius. I mixed canon and my own spin so there are spoilers for the actual textbook. 

Lucilius pov.

"I think Cantaber is stealing the gold" I tell Tiro, my loyal slave. We had been sent on a mission to a mine owned by a man named Cantaber after they stopped bringing in a lot of gold. Supposedly they had just been finding less gold in the mine but the mine owner has been acting suspicious as hell, like he's trying to hide something. "But master-" tiro says surprised. It's not safe to talk here. "Be quiet, tiro!" I say, "go if possible very quickly through the house. Ask a servant about Cantaber." he nods in response, walking quickly to the house. Cantaber must not find out we hold any suspicion towards him, we'd lose our only chance to find out the truth. I walk into the entrance hall only to stop in my tracks. 

There were two artists working on mosaics. Crap did they hear us? I fiddle my fingers anxiously, they didn't seem to have heard us. Something about one of the artist feels very similar, have i seen her around before? I walk a little closer to a better look at her face. It was hidden slightly by a layer of long brown hair that curls slightly around her neck. Her brows were furrowed as she worked diligently, placing the small rocks into the mosaics with the utmost care. She looks so familiar but I can't place my- oh. I fell my My face erupting into a red blush. This is so embarrassing, she was the girl who saw me almost get hit by a falling roof tile back in rome. Why is she here? Building up my courage I cautiously walk over. "Oh dear! I know you! Hello... uh? She turns around to the sound of my voice seemingly surprised by my presence. Oh gods, I sound so stupid. I don't even know her name. 

"Sabina," she finishes for me, smiling sweetly. She gestures to the young man next to her, "this is alexanders, he's my... employer." she cringes at the last part, scrunching up her nose. It was kinda cute. I feel my cheeks warm again. Cute? I must be going mad. I push those thoughts away as I introduce myself, "I'm lucilius, younger gaius, i am a tribune soldier. What happened sabina? Last year you were living in Rome. Now I see you living in Lusitania." I ask curiously. She pauses for a moment looking away solemnly as she says, "my father died during the fire in rome. I am in despair about the life of my aunt, who is christian." oh this seems like a hard topic for her, maybe I shouldn't have asked. Yet I don't want to stop talking to her. "I heard christians were in a lot of danger." "Certainly, lucilius." Why does my heart skip a beat whenever she says my name? Why does it sound so beautiful when it's coming from her mouth? 

Ah! She suddenly grabs my arm pulling my ear close to her mouth. I freeze unable to feel anything but the warmth of her breath against me. "Listen," she says calmly "I can help you. Servants talked of wagons approaching the warehouse in the middle of the night. They also talk of people guarding the wagons and the warehouse." this is it, i knew there was something going on! Before I know my arms are reaching around Sabina in a grateful embrace, "thank you so much, Sabina! It's necessary to learn what Cantaber is really doing!" I pulled away before quickly running off.

Sabina pov

I hadn't expected him to hug me. I hadn't expected to enjoy the feeling of his strong arms wrapping around my body or the warmth of his skin against mine. I felt protected and like, for just a moment we were the only two people in the world. He pulled away and I felt cold again. "Are you insane, sabina!?" Alexander yelled as he grabbed, pulling me back to reality. Why is he so mad? "Cantaber has a lot of power. He can bring a lot of harm to us and my family!'' I yank my arm out his grasp "we will be safe. Alexander. I think the tribune is a very virtuous man." his brows furrowed in anger started to get up into my face, "do you love that tribune!?" "what!?" I ask , shoving him away,"you're as stupid as a donkey! Alexander!" 

I run away so mad hot tears start burning my cheeks. What right does he have to comment on who I like? ... Do I like Lucilius? Despite knowing I'm lower class, He's always so nice to me. The way he blushes when he's embarrassed is quite adorable, like the time he almost got hit by a roof tile. I wipe my tears away, a small smile forming across my cheeks as I sit on the floor by the flowers in the garden. I picked one of the daisies. Praying to Venus as I pluck off one of the petals, he loves me. Take off another, he loves me not. —- He loves me, the final petal falls to the floor. Thump, my heart skips a beat as a warm tingly feeling overtakes my body. I can't stop myself from smiling. He likes me.