S2-Ep. 5.4 (R) - What'cha Doin'?

Previously on "The Otherworlders" - Master Liu has given the kids group assignments, and they all disperse into the courtyard to hang out a bit before they have to hunker down and get to their reports.

Now that the girls are back, several of the boys feel the urge to make up for lost time. 😁

**********

In the Academy courtyard rifling through his bookbag, Cameron spots Fiona talking to Jake and Aidan by the scraggly tree that sits on a verdant patch of grass at the center of the Academy courtyard.

She's saying something to them, they all laugh, and then then she turns to leave.

She manages two steps before suddenly stopping, mid-stride, her gaze falling on Ava and Farid talking intimately together on the other side of the courtyard.

Her frown turns into a scowl. She's still not used to seeing them together.

And although she's accepted the inevitable, it still hurts to see them like that, to see that look in Farid's eyes, that smile, the one that as hard as she tried, she could never quite elicit from him.

Realizing she's got no choice but to get used to it, Fiona swallows hard.

Hunching her shoulders, she clings to her book and wraps her arms tightly around her center, making a beeline for her dorm room.

Cameron, shoving his history book into his messenger bag, jumps up from the picnic table and makes his move to cut her off before she can disappear back into the building.

"Hey, there." He steps out in front of her and cracks a wide grin.

"Um... pardon me?" Fiona says as her frown returns. She quirks a brow.

"Soooo," Cameron drawls out the word. "Can I tell you a secret?"

Fiona just stares at him and doesn't respond.

"I'll take that as an affirmative," Cameron says. " You see..." He quirks his lips. "I find myself very, very depressed these days."

Fiona looks up, blinks a few times, then gives Cameron an irritated glare. Seriously? Who does this dude think he is?!

"I'm sorry to hear that," she says evenly. "I'm sure Headmaster Pierce can get you the name of a good therapist."

Cameron's shoulders shake as he chuckles. He lets his head fall back as he looks up at the sky. Then he returns his gaze to Fiona. His gaze is steady and intense. "Well, don't you want to know why I'm so depressed?"

Fiona shrugs slowly. "Should I care?"

Cameron, undeterred, says, "It's because I was really hoping we'd get paired up for this assignment."

Fiona looks Cameron up and down like he's a character out of Bad Boy Monthly magazine. "Why?"

"Why do I want us paired up together?" Cameron asks, surprised.

"Yep!" Fiona confirms, popping the "p". "That's what I'm asking."

"Because," Cameron points between the two of them, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, "personally, I think we'd make a really good team."

Fiona rolls her eyes and hikes her bookbag up her shoulder. "Look," she says impatiently, swinging her gaze back to him. "I've gotta go make a call, so why don't you..."

She tucks her chin in and tries to scoot around him, but Cameron takes a step to the left and blocks her path. "Okay but one thing first," he lowers his voice. "I wanted to tell you that looked really nice at the ball."