Part 19

POV: Mr Park

I was in my office working on a new project with my employees, when Gideon stormed in shouting, "You're getting married?!"

My employees turned to look at me. One of them congratulated me on the spot and I just froze in my chair because so much was happening at once. "We will continue later. Kindly excuse us, gentlemen," I told my employees. They nodded their heads with understanding, as they packed up their belongings and walked out of the office.

"Congratulations once again, sir," smiled one of my employees as he exited the office,

I smiled at them until they closed the office door then I turned back to Gideon - who was standing impatiently waiting for an answer. "Are you out of your mind, brother?" I asked him.

"Am I out of my mind? Jeremiah, are you out of your mind? You told me that you were only going to ask her to be your girlfriend!"

I didn't know whether Gideon was furious or happy for me. Not that it mattered because I was not getting married but I was trying to assess the situation before I could say anything that would tick him off. I sat back into my chair and looked up at him. "I know that it was unexpected, everything happened so fast ---"

"What do you mean everything happened so fast? What is going on with you?"

"Are you happy for me, brother?"

Gideon went mute. We just looked at each other until he decided to take a seat. "Don't get me wrong, brother, I am happy for you. You just didn't tell me that you wanted to get married. My reaction is based off on you not telling me before proposing, but I had gotten your blessing before proposing to Abby. Do you think what you have done is fair? You didn't even tell me about it, I had to hear it from Abigail who heard it from Hannah," he confessed.

Truly, I had never seen my brother so concerned about my love life before. He was so invested and he cared so much about giving his blessing to me

"I am not getting married, Gideon," I revealed, undoing my tie. "Hannah said yes before I could even ask her to be my girlfriend and she cried, a lot...to this day, I do not know how to tell her that it was not a marriage proposal. Yes, I am a coward but also seeing her so happy and the thought of being married to her is everything that I have ever wanted."

The room went quiet.

"I do not understand why you are overthinking everything, it's quite simple. If you guys want to make it work but have not gotten to a point of committing, she'll understand. You just need to communicate with her and make her understand that marriage is still a possibility for the future but you want to take things slow."

"I was planning on telling her today after work."

"Jeremiah, why didn't you tell me about it?" Gideon asked sincerely.

"Honestly, I thought you would think that I was trying to get married first and outshine you. In actuality, it was not a marriage proposal, I did not know how you would take it - if you'd listen to me or walk off. I landed myself into the situation and I was going to find a way out of it with the help of the Holy Spirit, without involving anyone."

"Why would you think I wouldn't be happy for you if it was actually a marriage proposal? You're my blood and the last thing I would want is to see you miserable and jumping from one continent to the other. Sure, it was unexpected news but it's also great news! I want to be an uncle before I pass away, Jeremiah."

I smiled at Gideon. "In as much as I want to get married, Hannah has some baggage that she needs to sort out. Rushing into marriage will just maximise the problems and I do not want that."

"Don't forget to seek my blessing."

*****Flashback

POV: Mr Park

As nurse Kelly's visits became more frequent, I was glad Hannah picked up the routine of always being by my side and never asking unnecessary questions. It was a breath of fresh air and I was not uncomfortable nor did I have to endure nurse Kelly's unflattering flirtations and comments.

I was tired of nurse Kelly always popping up, even when I told the hospital that I wanted someone new, so I had taken matters into my own hands. I decided to order a bouquet for Hannah. It was my way of appreciating her efforts, not only when nurse Kelly pops up.

The doorbell went off and Hannah, who was standing at my side, looked down at me. "Are you expecting a visitor, sir?"

"Yes Hannah, do you mind getting the door for me?"

Hannah left the room and it felt like a dark cloud appeared right after she closed the door behind her. Nurse Kelly looked my way and smiled. "Mr Park, I was wondering," she spoke.

The perfect time for the ground to swallow me whole.

"What is on your mind, nurse Kelly?"

"When you are able to walk again, there's a nice restaurant that just opened up and I ---"

"Nurse Kelly, for as much as I enjoy you coming over here to treat my wounds and make sure that my health is in good condition, I would kindly decline your offer. Personally, I love to take the first initiative and not a woman, it feels wrong when a woman asks a man out - my personal opinion, of course. Surely, you can find someone who would be delighted to be by your side at the new restaurant."

Nurse Kelly looked disappointed but she still had hope that shined on her face, but before she could respond, Hannah walked in holding a big bouquet of fresh, white roses. I smiled at the appearance of the flowers; my florist never disappoints. "Sir, where should I put your flowers?" Hannah asked.

"I bought them for you, Hannah," I replied, turning to have a better view of her. "Do you like them?"

Putting Hannah on the spot was not ideal, a bit selfish but I just wanted to appreciate her, even if it was in front of nurse Kelly. She looked shy and out of words and I completely understood because it caught her off guard. "Since you try your best to brighten up my days, I bought you those flowers to brighten up your day, as well."

"Uh...th-thank you, sir." She looked unimpressed and confused.

A few hours after nurse Kelly had left, Hannah came back to my room. She did not display her usual happy face, rather she seemed a bit down, timid maybe. "Mr Park, thank you for the flowers, they are lovely but I do not like to be used. It's one thing that I always have to be by your side when nurse Kelly comes around but it's a whole different case when you try to make her jealous with me. I do not appreciate that...sir."

I was marvelled by her courage to speak up for herself and the value that she held of herself was in high esteem, truly significant, not like it was the first time but I liked it for some reason. She was not happy with it and no human being is supposed to be happy when they are taken advantage off. I smiled in my wheelchair. "Hannah, I apologize for putting you on the spot and not giving you the flowers in private, otherwise, my intentions are pure. I really do appreciate everything that you have been doing for us - for me, especially. I just wanted to make you feel valued. Thank you for telling me how you really feel, I appreciate that."

"I don't like being a third wheel, especially since I know how she feels about you."

"What if she's the third wheel, Hannah?"

Silence fell in the room as we both stared at each other. After a while without uttering a word, she turned to the door and left.

*****End of flashback

Vote, Comment & Share