trois

16th January 2024
09:45 A.M.
Sunshine Public School

"What do you mean? Are you telling me that he is after you? But, you told me you were so sure about what happened that day, didn't you?" August crossed her arms while leaning on a wall.

"Yeah, I did. But… But… I checked everything. I wonder how he did…" Betty, who could no longer speak more than that, squatted while covering her face with her hands and sobbing as if someone had died. And yes, it was the remaining happiness in her that was slowly dying. "I wish this land would swallow me forever. I don't want to be here, August. No, I want to run away somewhere."

August, who was already embracing her friend in a hug, patted her forehead and said, "It's okay, Betty. Shit happens."

As Betty kept crying over everything, her mind went back to the moment when everything became nothing.

***

13th December 2023
09: 15 A.M.
Super-Stoned

"What's your favourite colour, Betty?" Alex questioned her out of the blue.

"Black," Betty said.

"Shit," Alex banged on the table and muttered, "White," while holding his head with his hand.

"Ah, we're going to be enemies!" Betty fanned her hand and chuckled.

"Do you think so, Betty?" Alex questioned.

After laughing loud enough for the bartender to look at them, Betty said, "For your kind information, I have great plans to make this night a blast."

"What do you mean?" Alex scrunched his nose as his eyebrows met each other.

"Never mind. You'll know soon." Betty chose to pass the conversation away.

"Sir, your Vodka," the waiter came back with two shots of Vodka and left, while Alex had them untouched for a while.

Betty took one of those shots in her hand, extended at Alex, and requested— no— commanded, "Drink."

"I told you, Betty. I never drink alcohol," whined Alex.

"Drink." This time, there was no emotion in Betty's tone. Only plain authoritarianism: as if she was his boss.

"Fine," Alex sighed defeatedly and accepted the shot glass. As he let one drop of Vodka touch the tip of his tongue, the rest of them glided down his throat like water. While admiring how the Vodka effortlessly glided through his throat, Betty allowed herself to empty one packet of Ketamine to mix into the Vodka.

Snatching another shot glass from Betty, he sniggered, "Thank you, Betty."

He gulped down the shot as well and raised his voice, "Three more shots, please," to the waiters.

"Three shots? Did you choose to sleep forever?" Betty asked while trying to suppress her maniac grin.

"I love the taste, Betty." Alex plopped his head on the bar table and sniggered. "Aren't you drinking anything?"