Mental Health Matters (Negative effects of Social Media)

Be advised that each page is based solely on my own realization and perspective regarding my acknowledgement and expressiveness, inspired by Mrs. Hailey. Thank you for your understanding.

You probably don't know me, and I don't know you either. I believe that we all struggle with the difficulties and miserable phases of our lives. This is why I am writing this, to make us aware of how social media can both benefit and discredit us, as it has its own unique way of becoming a trend.

Social media is important in our daily lives because it helps us communicate with important people who are already a part of our lives, such as our parents, relatives, close friends, and even people we cherish or those who can provide us with benefits, like our supervisors, team leaders, or managers.

We cannot remove social media from our lives, as it already exists as a crucial and relevant system, regardless of its effectiveness. However, the negative and toxic consequences we experience from social media are inevitable. Many of us have witnessed how it feels to compare ourselves to posts from celebrities or models. We tend to develop mental disorders or issues, feeling insecure and having low self-esteem. I have always asked myself, why can't I lose weight even if I skip meals, go to the gym, and pay for a membership? It just doesn't work.

Why can't I be as pretty or attractive as her? I really wish I had a beautiful face and flawless skin so that I could confidently post my selfies and body on social media. But then I realized that no matter how you look or how popular you are, if people see something inappropriate from you or an attribute they don't like, they will dismiss it. It seems that it doesn't matter to them how kind a person can be, as long as they have already seen the worst of you. They will make sure to bring you down and destroy your self-esteem and self-respect.

I admit that when I was young, I was immature and mean. I gossiped about people's lives and insulted them because I thought they deserved it. I backstabbed a lot of people because I thought I couldn't trust them. I used to be a toxic and mean brat back in the day. However, from my own perspective, we all have moments in our past that we are not proud of. But I don't think that means we can't change or grow up. As we age, I believe it is time to realize that we don't need approval from others. We have to stop trying to please people just so they will like us.

Start by accepting yourself and loving yourself more than anyone else. I think that is the first step to taking care of your own health and your future.