ONE

"I don't wanna do this." Auburn let out a sigh loud enough for her boss, Penelope to hear from across the office.

"Why not? There'll be plenty of hot, tanned, shirtless men there."

"Yeah, but I don't like—"

"—There's plenty of women there too—"

"—Horses."

Penelope smiled, and tried her best not to laugh. "Look, one of the guys will keep you on track down there."

Auburn sighed and rolled her eyes. "What if they want me to ride, and I fall off the horse?"

"You won't."

"What if the guy's a jerk?"

Penelope stared into her eyes. "That won't happen. I promise you. The guys down at the ranch are lovely."

"Yeah, whatever you say."

Penelope smiled. "So will you do it?"

"If you pay for my lunch, yeah."

"Deal."

Soon enough, she was carted across town in the news jeep, and at the outskirts walking into the claustrophobic ranch.

Rows of stalls, seats, people dressed in Vaquero regalia, kids running around, a band playing music, roosters squawking; horses and riders running wild in the center of the pit. The smell of fried pork, cafe con leche, alcohol, elote, tortillas, sweat, weed and horse crap wafted through the air.

Auburn paused to take a break at one of the stalls handing out free water. She stood, red-faced, staring across at a taller than average shirtless man with a buzzcut, shiny, tanned skin and a grumpy expression etched across his face.

Another man, who looked like his brother stood next to him:

"Why'd I agree to do this?" The man hissed. "I coulda been at home, chillin' with a few beers, checking out the heinas, but nah. You dragged me out to this pinche contest."

"Leo, you needed to get outta the house." His brother rolled his eyes. "You were rotting away inside that stupid apartment of yours."

Leo glared back. "I was enjoying myself away from everyone else, until you interfered, Alan."

"You need to move on," Alan said, "and get laid. You can't be sad forever. Even if she took your truck, Lily and half of the furniture. You still get to see her on the weekends."

Leo rolled his eyes. "Shit, I must be depressed if you're being positive."

Alan smirked. "Go out there and get 'em. You're a great rider. Go and get the grand prize."

Leo rolled his eyes. "Aight."

"You gotta go and see that news chick, too."

"Don't remind me." He hissed.

"Go put your shirt on too."

Leo sighed and untied his shirt from around his waist, and put it on. He tucked it into his jeans, and left the top button open. "Look after Misty while I go find her."

Alan nodded. "You know what she looks like?"

"Penelope said she was a gringa with red hair. Red face. How hard can she be to find?"

"You never know? She could be hiding somewhere."

Leo nodded. "Aight, hasta luego."

Alan nodded as Leo marched away. He looked across at the stalls, but there were too many people. He couldn't zoom in on the crowd.