Chapter 1

(A/N: Read here on Ao3 for a better experience -> https://archiveofourown.org/works/53576494/chapters/135618292)

The first thing that Rainbow Steve registered when he woke up was that he was flying. The weightlessness of flight being a feeling he was familiar with, as familiar as breathing. The second thing he registered were the voices surrounding him. Voices that were muffled as a cold chill blew right through him. Rainbow Steve opened his eyes to an unfamiliar sight, a metal room with five people standing around the middle, all talking, or rather yelling at each other.

Each of them were different colours, all standing in the same room together and not, in fact, killing each other like Rainbow Steve assumed they would have been by now.

Carefully he moved himself closer to them, their muffled voices not becoming any clearer. Heavy distortion covered their voices making them heavy and loud, as if Rainbow Steve was listening to them underwater. Rainbow Steve tried to speak, tried to get his mouth to let out any sound, but nothing came out. Another chill flew through his body, as he gripped his shirt, trying to rid the chill out of his bones. His clothes felt soft, like they were made of wool weaved together rather than the normal fabric he wore.

He looked down, seeing a pastel colour-changing sweater. The sweater he wore was almost hypnotic, shifting colours as he moved around a bit.

'Man, I should get something like this at home too.' He thought to himself before his attention was brought to his hands, much smaller than normal. In fact, his whole body was smaller than normal. Rainbow Steve let out a tiny squeak instead of the intended scream that was trying to escape his throat. Suddenly, the others in the room all turned their attention to him.

The world suddenly became far clearer, with Rainbow Steve being able to make out the words they were all speaking. Each of them rushed at him at once.

"Oh my Lord! He's up in the air! We can't get him down!" The green one yelled out. They were all crowded down under him, trying to reach up to grab him, but every time they got close, he only moved higher. Rainbow Steve let out a giggle, dodging each of their attempts when suddenly he was grabbed out of the air.

Rainbow Steve wriggled around, trying to get out of the trap he had been caught in. The miniature Steve let out a disappointed whine, looking behind him to his capturer, the Indigo Steve. The man only huffed, his gaze making the hairs on the back of Rainbow Steve's neck raise, even if he knew that he was in no real danger.

Rainbow Steve was handed down to a different person as the indigo man spoke. "He's growing at a faster rate than any of us could have anticipated." He said, as Rainbow Steve was adjusted in the hands of another person. It wasn't until they spoke that he realized who was holding him.

"Well, there has to be a reason for this, right?" The green one asked, moving the colourful child in his hold. "He's been developing never before seen powers, growing at a rate that is far too fast for a normal steve; his cognitive abilities seem to be improving at the same rate as his size." He remarked as he looked around the room.

Rainbow Steve tucked his head into the green one's shirt. The impromptu flight had made him tired. It didn't take long for them to all crowd around him once again, checking to make sure that he was healthy.

"All things considered, if you didn't know any better, he would look like a fairly normal kid." The red one said, checking his temperature with the back of their hand. "As normal as he can look, with all the colours on him."

Rainbow Steve heard a small complaint from the green man holding him, telling the rest that they were crowding him too much. As soon as this was said, Rainbow Steve was once again scooped up by the indigo one, held so that no one could get up to him.