CHAPTER ONE

The sound of the howling wolves filled the air that night and the growls were just as loud. Caleb grabbed his younger sister and he covered her ears. He hugged her and their front door flung open. She was going to stand up to check out what was going on when her brother pulled her back and raised his hands to her lips. She heard her mother scream and her dad yell out in pain but then, that was all. The place became silent after that. The air was still and she started to panic. That was the last day she saw her parents, that was the last day she had anything to do with them because that was the day that they died. She didn’t know how long she sat there, waiting for her elder brother to give her the go ahead to check if she was safe enough to play around. She fell asleep, waiting for his approval but it never came. The next morning came fast for them and when she woke up, her brother wasn’t by her side anymore. She opened the door to the closet that she had been in all night and walked to the living room. She saw him there. Kneeling in front of the bodies of both of her parents. Her wold came down on her. She fell immediately and that was the last thing she remembered. It has been six years since that happened and now, she was turning nineteen. She hated her very existence and she was willing to give it all up if she found the perfect opportunity to. The front door opened and she looked up from the book she was reading.

“And once again, you have failed to listen to me. I just don’t understand you!” she said to her brother as he came in and locked the door behind him.
“You shouldn’t have waited up for me. I always come back home. I have told you this several times. Waiting up for me wouldn’t make me get back any faster!” he said to her. 
“I was hoping that it would make you stop it is not safe out there. You don’t need me to tell you this and you do not need me to remind you of what happened the last time” she said to him. 
“I am here now and I am safe. Diane, you don’t have to worry about me. I am a wolf, the strongest we have, well, after you but people love us, they respect us and they fear us. This is the life we have always wanted. Why wouldn’t you take it?” he asked her.
“This is the life you wanted, Caleb, not me. This isn't our plan. This is not what we agreed to do and you know this!” she said to him.
“If this isn't, then what is? We have wanted to live well ever since our parents died. We have always wanted to live well. That is what we are doing right now. Why wouldn’t you just accept this and enjoy the moment that life is offering us right now?” he asked her, confused as hell.
“I cant do that because the killer of our parents is still out there. I made a promise that I wasn’t going to stop until he was dead! You made that promise too!” she screamed at him.

He sighed and he looked at her. She may have been his younger sister but right now, she was unrecognizable. She was driven by revenge, hate and maybe even anger. He walked up to her and he touched her shoulders before pulling her into a hug. He knew that he could not talk her out of it and if she went ahead on her own, she was going to die. He was left with just one option, to help her.

“Fine. I would help you out and we would find out who killed our parents and then we would get our revenge but we cant put our lives on hold because of this mission. We cant do that. We have to live on. It is what they would want us to do. They would want you to go out there and have fun, meet somebody and make out with them. Have kids and look for a mate to settle down with. They would want you to move on from all of this” he said to her. 
“And I would do that but right now, those are distractions and I cant afford distractions. That is why I am so invested in this right now because the sooner I can get it over with, the sooner I can move on from it” she said to her brother.
“Diane, life doesn’t always go the way we plan it. It has its own agenda and if you are not careful, you would lose yourself to it. You have lived just for revenge and that is something that has been killing you slowly” her brother said back to her.
“So what do you have in mind?” she asked him.
“There is this party that is happening tonight. It is not so far from here and it is going to be a big party. I want you to go as my plus one. I promise that it would be fun and when you start to feel overwhelmed from all of the socializing, I would pull you out and bring you home” her brother said to her.
“Tonight? That doesn’t even give me time to think about it” she said to him.
“There is no reason for you to think about it. I can get you a dress within the hour. There is nothing for you to do other than to show up. That is all you need to do” her brother said to her.
“Fine, when do we leave?” she asked him with a smile.
“That is what I like to hear. We would leave when it is seven. The last thing we want to do is to be late for a party” he said to her.