𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒

CHAPTER NINE
Happy Freakin' Holidays

Preston had dropped Enzo off somewhere a while ago, and was walking in the college halls with Caroline, who was on the phone with her mom.

    "I just figured that we were skipping Christmas this year. You know, considering the part where I die if I cross the border into my hometown." Caroline dragged out the words. "Was my favourite time of year. When I could actually live in my own house and help decorate the town tree and drink hot cocoa with my friends." Caroline continued.

    Preston opened the dorm room door to see Liz standing there with decorations.

    "Liz?" Preston questioned.

    "What are you doing? You're supposed to be at the Mystic Falls tree-decorating ceremony." Caroline couldn't believe her mom was there.

    "I'm playing hooky this year. I figured just because you can't come home for the holidays doesn't mean the holidays can't come to you." Liz reasoned.

    Caroline laughed softly, "you even brought our favourite ornaments. Mom." Caroline smiled.    

    "Hey. I didn't know which ones to get, so I got both." A dreadful voice ruined the moment for Preston.

    "What are you doing here?" Caroline and Preston asked Stefan in sync.

    "Your mom needed Christmas lights." Stefan hesitated.

    Caroline and Preston both turned to look at Liz.

    "You have a huge dorm, and I thought we could use an extra set of hands." Liz argued.

    "We have Preston." Caroline responded.

    Caroline turned around to see Stefan waiting for an answer on which ones to use. "The little ones, obviously." Caroline said as a matter of fact.

    Preston's phone started to ring. "I gotta take this." Preston excused herself and stepped out into a very empty classroom.

    "Jeremy and mush are trying to kill me, aren't they?"

    "Good guess. I wonder how you could have ever known. It's not like a psychic hunter told you a while ago." Preston sassed.

    "Not a huge fan of your sass."

    "Blame Dean. He's the one that I had to stay around my entire life."

    There was a pause before Enzo started to talk again. "So, are you going to tell me what you got Elena at the store?" Even though he had a pretty good guess, he wanted to hear it from Preston.

    "I think you know." Preston said.

    "I knew it." Enzo exclaimed.

    "Are you gonna be okay for supplies?"

    "I should be."

    Preston sighed, something Enzo picked up on.

    "Neither of them will kill me. I still have to give you your present."