Lovers Quest

Walking through the streets of New York City, flashbacks hit me like a train. I remembered the last summer I had gone up to Mount Olympus, seeing all of the gorgeous buildings where the stuck up gods lived and ignored their children.

Of course, the buildings were nothing on Annabeth.

Her storm grey eyes sparkled in the light of Olympus as her golden curls flowed freely in the wind. She had a bloodstain on her hands, but I'd never seen anything more breathtaking in that moment. The daughter of Athena had quickly gone from best friend to my only reason to stay alive. Annabeth, the only word that mattered.

The war was finished, even if the price had been great. So many people had died and Olympus was in ruins. If that day wasn't such a tragic day, I would definitely be laughing in the gods' faces. That's where Annabeth would get the opportunity of a lifetime!

Standing in front of the gods, Athena had awarded Annabeth with the job of redesigning Mount Olympus, which meant the world to Annabeth. She was an aspiring architect and I had never seen work more awe-inducing than her's. Everything she did had that effect on me.

But redesigning Olympus was no easy job, even for Wise Girl. Annabeth seemed to be living in a pile of blueprints, and only the gods knew how much she was sleeping. They had offered her a place to stay up on the mountain, but every once in a while Annabeth would come to Mom's house and sleep there. She always arrived late and left early in the morning, only early enough for the owls to see. Not like there were any owls in overpopulated New York.

While my girlfriend was off rebuilding a place where literal gods resided, I was off going to stupid high school for the next four torturous years, just to get a degree and go back to school. If I school would take me. And there's no way Wise Girl would let me just not go to college. That being said, I'd even be surprised if I lived that long at the rate things are going.

That doesn't really matter though, as long as Annabeth lives.

The high school I was enrolled in was nothing I was particularly excited about. There I would be known as the dyslexic no good troublemaker, and I would have to do it all without Annabeth. I had to remind myself every day that at least I wasn't the one who had to work with the gods 24/7!

The walk from my school to my house was only a couple miles, which I would gladly endure instead of riding on the bus. Too many possibilities of monsters either way, but hey, what was life without a little rush every once in a while?

I turned the corner past the bakery. The next street held a bunch of apartments, one of which was mine. I of course shared it with my mom (who I wouldn't trade the world for), Paul, and the occasional Wise Girl. Walking into the cramped apartment, I could smell a million different dinners all being cooked at once. And, was that, fish? Hmm, I wonder if I knew them.

Our apartment was up on the third floor. The elevator had been faulty for the past couple weeks, so I took the stairs up to our floor. I reached the door, and to my surprise, Annabeth was sitting at the kitchen table, talking with Mom as Paul cooked something on the stove. My Annabeth.

I put my backpack on the ground, and upon meeting each other's eyes, Annabeth ran towards me. I enveloped her in a hug, slightly lifting her up off the ground. "Seaweed brain," she whispered into my ear. Gods, I missed her voice. Her hair smelled slightly of lemons, just like it always did. Wise Girl looked like she could fall asleep at any minute, but I thought she had never looked so beautiful.

Annabeth and I loosened from our hug, and looking over her shoulder, I saw my mom staring at me, eyes raised, with an excited look on her face. She of course knew that Annabeth and I had been dating for a couple of months, but it never failed to entertain her when we showed affection.