14.1 - 'How did you know I was here?'

(1/3)

The whole week had been very, very hot, and The levante wind sweeping across Cadiz didn't help much with the drowsy feeling in my head. The sky had a pink tint coloured by the sand being carried in the air, and at the beach it felt like sand paper was being thrown against people's bare bodies as they walked by the sea. Being indoors, regardless of the air-con was also uncomfortable, as it would be either too cold or not cold enough, so the boss decided that everyone could have the rest of the week off if we agreed to work on a Saturday after the heatwave and the levante air had passed the following week.

I had been working in Spain for a couple of months now, first doing some training that was cheaper to deliver over there instead of London, and then fulfilling my first assessment, serving as translator/Interpreter/PA for a small company. After this assessment I was meant to return to England and move on to the next one but it seemed like that day would never arrive.

It felt like a lot at the beginning, being away, in the sun, speaking Spanish with a weird accent that wasn't my own and having to smile all the time while dealing with arrogant-self entitled people, but it meant staying in a very fancy apartment in the south of Spain for most of the summer, working very little hours, earning quite a nice salary and spending tons of time at the beach or the pool, so it kind of felt more like a paid holiday than work.

In a way, being away from england was a good excuse not to think of Niall. I almost hadn't seen or talked to him at all for a couple of months now, as not long after I returned from LA and got this new job, he got very busy with work and in spite of him declaring his love for me and being all cheesy and romantic, he kind of ignored my attempts to stay in touch giving me silly excuses.

At first I didn't really worry about it and thought: 'well... it's his job... don't make a fuss of it', but one day, I went to London for a work meeting, before I was asked to go to Spain, and thinking that Niall was away, I thought I'd spend the night at his place, so I wouldn't have to rush back home at night. I went to Soho and met some friends at Comptons, then to Vauxhall and stayed out until a bit later than midnight to then make my way to Niall's house, as I still had my own key.

As I entered the hallway I noticed that there were people inside... I didn't expect Niall to be there as I had seen on his social media that he was still away, so I thought maybe he had friends staying. I felt a bit embarrassed and tried to get out, but they obviously heard me and someone quickly came to see the door. It was Niall.

He looked shocked to see me and probably so did I. We hadn't talked for at least 2 weeks and the fact that I hadn't asked if I could stay at his place made me feel a bit like an intruder, even if when he gave me the key he said I could go there whenever.

He gave me a cold hug, and after I explained he said I could come in and stay, but he had company... one of his mates from Mullingar was visiting with his girlfriend, and also 'you know who'... Niall's 'friend' who happens to be a girl, and also happens to be his Ex, who seems to not be the ex anymore.

Fuck!... When I saw her, my stomach got tight and my face went red. She obviously recognised me and got very nervous and uncomfortable as well... she definitely didn't look like a 'friend'... and the fact than Niall introduced me as 'a mate' really pissed me off. There was a sudden silence as the music happened to stop just then, and without knowing what to do, I just said "it was really nice to see you all, but my Uber is waiting... have a nice time and... see you later 'Mate'...".

As I walked out of the room trying to look cool, Niall followed me asking me to stay as it was late... saying that he would explain... but I told him "It's all right 'Mate'... I rather go...", I grabbed his face and went to kiss him, visualising in my head a dramatic ending of this whole thing with a last passionate kiss before saying good bye for the last time... but just at that second, when I was putting my lips against Niall's, she walked into us and saw the whole thing. I was mortified...