JUST THE BEGINNING

"Natalie! Wake up!" I hear my mum calling from the living room. I was already awake and on my phone. "Natalie!!" She yells again.

"I'm up!" I shout. Sitting up in my bed. I squint as the sun pricks my eyes, making me sleepy. Well, sleepier. Mum comes into my room anyways.

"Come on, you're going to be late. Again." She stands there as I get up and stretch. "Your dad's picking you up, okay? Did you pack last night?"

"Yes, mum. Don't worry, everything is packed." I say, moving past her to the bathroom.

"You have cheese and tomato sandwiches for lunch, and I know you asked for ham, but I forgot-"

"Don't worry about it, mum!" I call from behind the closed bathroom door. "I'm gonna have a shower now!"

"Okay! I'll make breakfast." I hear mum walk away. I let out a small sigh and turn on the shower. I wait for 3 minutes for the water to heat up and have a somewhat short shower. 

I walk out to the kitchen, still tucking my shirt into my skirt.

"Oh, there you are, my beautiful daughter." Mum says, holding my blazer for me. She helps me put it on. "Give me a hug." 

I give her a hug, and she rests her hands on my waist. I shrink away. "Mum-"

"Sorry. I forgot, I'm sorry." She retracts her hands away.

"Yeah just... I don't like it... so..." I gesture with my hands.

"Yeah... You're not fat, darling-"

"Mum, stop-"

"I'm just saying-"

"I'm gonna be late, let's go." 

--------------------------------+

"Nat!" My best friend, Olivia, runs up to me. "Wanna ditch maths?"

"And skip the test? Oooh, I don't know." I say, tapping my chin.

"Shut up. Meet me at that big tree at recess, we can go to the OTR. Did you bring money?" Olivia asks while we walk to my locker.

"Mum always puts my wallet in my bag, don't see why she wouldn't today." I shrug, putting my bag in my locker.

"Natalie Porchman!" Peter shouts, walking towards us. Peter sucks. He always calls me by my full name, and always does that dumb subtle teasing.

"Hi Peter." I say, giving Olivia a look before taking the essentials out of my bag.

"Natalie Porchman hanging out with Olivia Banks again. Do you like her Natalie Porchman?" Peter says, opening his locker.

"No, I actually hate her."

"Ooohhh Natalie Porchman."

SHUT THE FUCK UP. I turn to him, about to punch him in his dumb annoying fucking face. Olivia notices and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Let's not be late to home group now, Nat." She says, pulling me away.

"Bye, Natalie Porchman." Peter says.

"Yeah..."

--------------------------------+

"Whatcha got there?" I ask, walking up to Olivia by the big tree. It's recess and we're about to skip.

"Just some biscuits grandma made me." She shrugs taking a bite. "Super dry."

"Kinda like her."

"Shut up." We both laugh and my eyes wonder to the music building right next to us. "Oh my god, you keep looking at her."