I. Meeting at the cliff side

The setting sun was already leaving the world of Teyvat, its vibrant rays fading into darkness as night approached. Standing atop a towering cliff, he immersed himself in the dwindling remnants of the sunset, his gaze fixed upon the solitary star that shone brightly in the evening sky.

As the passage of time weighed upon him, he turned his attention to the vacant space beside him, a poignant reminder of the love he had never before experienced in his eternal life as the Iudex of Fontaine, as the Hydro Sovereign Dragon... and more.

Indeed, he had fully embraced his role as the Hydro Dragon, his power restored and resulting in the demise of the true Archon of Fontaine. Though there was a glimmer of positivity in this, as it meant forgiveness for the Fontainians and their creation's sins, he found it impossible to forgive himself for his lack of knowledge, of how to fix the situation Fontaine was put into.

The thought that there shouldn't be any more surprises for the day proved to be misguided. Utterly wrong.

Unbeknownst to him, there was a man who had been watching Neuvillette intently, his gaze fixed upon the Iudex the entire time. The Duke of the Fortress of Meropide stood not far away, deliberately concealing his presence until the opportune moment to reveal himself. Step by step, he cautiously approached the solitary figure of the Iudex, the silence between them thick with anticipation. As their eyes met, a profound connection was established.

"It's rare to see His Grace outside the Fortress these days," the Iudex remarked, his voice laced with a tinge of surprise.

In truth, Wriothesley had been confined within the walls of the prison for an entire month, burdened by an overwhelming workload that demanded his attention day after day. Layers of dust blanketed his office, covering the already cluttered desk and littering the floor. He was forced to take a week of 'vacation', by the Head Nurse herself.

"Oh? I just saw the most beautiful man I know sitting by himself, exuding a majestic aura in the fading light of the sun. So I came to keep him company," the Duke said, his words infused with a gentle warmth that contrasted with the solemn ambiance of the moment.

"No need for compliments like these. Should I repay you with such a compliment as well?" Wriothesley stuttered, his embarrassment palpable.

The Iudex's flirty compliments had always managed to fluster the Duke, an effect well-known to those around them.

"If you say that I'm the most beautiful... you're the most handsome and gentle man I know," the Iudex replied, his words carrying a sense of vulnerability and yearning.

Within the realm of Fontaine, whispers abounded among its inhabitants. "They are secretly dating," some would say, while others speculated, "They're next in line to be married, perhaps even before Clorinde and Navia!"

But would you believe such rumors? Could two esteemed and influential men of Fontaine's highest standing be content with a mere casual fling or a simple romantic relationship? The notion of marriage seemed even more implausible.

"Anyway... you seem lonely and... sad. Has something happened, beauty?" the Duke inquired, concern etched across his face.

"Oh... it's nothing major, handsome..." the Iudex responded, his attempt to conceal his true emotions evident.

"Huh. Are you sure? My beautiful Iudex~?" the Duke pressed, his voice filled with genuine care and affection.