driving age argumentative essay

As a teenager myself, I believe that the legal driving age should not be lowered to 14 because of the significant risk to lives and property. There's plenty of evidence to support this argument, including traffic studies and research demonstrating the dangers of teenage drivers. But, even without the data available, it's common sense that 14-year-olds don't have the maturity or experience to safely operate a vehicle, both for their own safety and that of people around them.

Traffic research has found that younger drivers are involved in significantly more car accidents than older, more experienced drivers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that 16- to 17-year-olds have 4.7 times the risk of fatal crash involvement as drivers over 20, and those under 16 have almost twice that risk. These statistics indicate that teens don't have the necessary skills and experience to safely handle a motor vehicle.

In addition to data from traffic reports and statistics showing the high rate of incidents involving teenage drivers, there's also a lot of information from insurance companies about claims and car accidents by young drivers. For example, a study from the American Petroleum Institute found that teen drivers are responsible for the highest premiums of any age group. When you add in the risk of personal injury and other damages, it's clear that younger drivers pose serious risks on the road.

n addition to the increased risk of accidents and damage, lowering the driving age has other potential negative consequences. Research has shown that teenage drivers tend to have poor judgment and can make rash decisions, which can lead to devastating consequences. It's also been found that teenage drivers are more likely to have poor driving habits than adults, such as distracted driving or speeding. Therefore, it makes sense that we should not lower the driving age, since teenagers are not yet mentally and emotionally equipped for such a serious thing such as driving.

Put simply, the potential risks associated with lowering the legal driving age far outweigh any perceived benefits. With the risks of higher accident rates, damages to people and property, poorer driving habits, and the risk of immature and inexperienced teenagers behind the wheel, it's clear that the legal driving age should not be lowered to 14 years old. While teenagers would have more freedom and autonomy with lower driving restrictions, the increase in safety concerns simply makes it too dangerous and irresponsible to consider lowering the driving age.