cinq

17th January 2024
03:30 A.M.
West Precinct Office, Huntsville Police Department

"Vedika Shergill, commander of West Precinct Office. Who is this?" Vedika recited her dialogue in the most monotonous way possible, all thanks to her ultimate urge to sleep tight.

"My name is Andrea White from Ashton Spring. My daughter has gone missing since yesterday night. She…"

Allowing Mrs White to speak, Vedika whispered to her subordinate Adrian, "Addy, record the call."

Vedika went back to the call while Mrs White continued, "Inside the bag, we found… We found body parts that were cut into pieces. I think…" She paused to exhale through her mouth and continued, "I think it's my daughter. I don't know what to do, Miss Shergill."

With that, Mrs White sobbed into tears while Vedika knew whom to call next. She questioned, "I… I understand, Mrs White. I hope you haven't touched the bag yet, did you?"

"No, ma'am. We didn't," replied Mrs White while blowing her nose.

"Okay, fine. Our team will be there in ten minutes. Could you please share your house address?"

"Sure."

Mrs White, after sharing the address details with Vedika, disconnected the call while the latter woke up the entire office by yelling, "Wake up, everyone! We've got a case to solve." Lowering her voice, she banged on her subordinate Lora's table and commanded, "Wake up, Lora! Quick."

Packing the basic stuff in her handbag, Vedika stormed out of the office with her team of seven cops, excluding Vedika.

***

17th January 2024
04:00 A.M.
Dorothea's House

"What's your daughter's name?" Vedika's teammate Lora questioned Mr White, sparing a good glance at Vedika, who was busy looking through the house.

"Dorothea White," replied Mr White, his tone wobbling.

"Age?"

"Sixteen."

"Where were you at the time of the crime?"

"Yesterday was my colleague's birthday," narrated Mr White. "Hence, I went to the party with my wife."

"Can someone prove your existence at the party?"

"Yes, Miss Clarke." It was Mrs White who had replied. "I can give you the contact list if you want."

"Thank you, Mrs White. I'll save it for later use. Why didn't you take Dorothea and your son… Adam with you?"

"Dorothea chose to stay back since she had loads of homework. And, Adam had gone to his friend's house for a project," explained Mrs White.

"Okay. What kind of person was Dorothea?"

Before Mr White could answer, Vedika became the centre of the stage as she received the call from Dr Adams.

Connecting the call, Vedika queried, "Yes, Dr Adams. Were you able to decipher whose body was that?"

"To be honest, it took a lot of shit for me to find that, Ved. Such a tedious—"

"I don't give a fricking fuck about that, Dr Lucy Adams. I need a clear answer. Is that body Dorothea's or not?"

Sighing at her friend being overly rigid, Lucy replied, "Unfortunately, it's a yes, Commander."

Vedika gazed at Mr and Mrs White, who was gazing back at her as if she was the Lord.

"What happened?" Lora whispered and pointed her chin at Vedika while the latter gestured at her to wait.