Prologue

"You have one job and one job only: Find the ones responsible for murdering these innocent people." The order from the commissioner was sudden, an icy edge to his voice as he stared down the newly appointed police chief. Such a young guy like him? Lead the police? May as well let a child lead them.

"Sir?"

"You heard me Walker, find them and arrest them." The commissioner repeated. He truly was questioning the superintendent's decision to make someone like him chief of the police. As if on cue, the sound of a chair flying backwards drew his attention back to reality.

"I'll do my best!" With that, the young man left the office, causing the commissioner to shake his head in mild amusement.

"Evans!" The young chief called out, head peeking into every office he passed, a dissatisfied look on his face when he realized his best friend, Levi Evans, was nowhere to be found.

As the young officer came to the front of the station, his eyes landed on his best friend who seemed to be rather relaxed as he sat at his computer, Subway in hand. Hearing his last name, Levi lifted his green eyes to meet the brown eyes of the young Kane. Sighing, he put his sandwich down and turned to face him, leaning backwards in his seat.

"What's up?" He greeted the man, a relaxed grin on his face as he tilted his head, waiting to hear the orders of his chief of police. 

"Come with me, we're going to try to solve a murder." Kane's voice held authority, no room for discussion. Levi stood up, throwing his jacket on as he grabbed his gun and put it in his holster. 

"Let's go." The two left the building, getting into the car and driving about twenty minutes away. The neighborhood they found themselves in wasn't super affluent, however it wasn't poor. In fact, it was an area where honest, middleclass people lived. 

Arriving on the scene, the men got out and ducked under the crime scene tape as they went into the home. The air was filled with a spine chilling atmosphere, causing even the two experienced men to shudder. 

Walking through the home, they were careful not to touch anything that was labeled as evidence. Looking about, the walls were splattered with blood, and the bloodstains went all the way down the hall. 

"This may have been a crime of hate or revenge." Kane commented to Levi, who embodied the feeling of shock as they walked through the home. The blood trail led them to the living room. The curtains were drawn shut, making the room seem darker than they were. 

As their eyes shifted from the blood spatters on the curtains, Kane knelt down next to the victim. The victim was middle-aged white man, and his head held multiple gunshot wounds along with blunt force. His body sprawled out, one thing in particular caught Kane's eye. 

In the man's hand was a cellphone. It seemed as though he was killed whilst being on the phone. It was odd to Kane, as most murderers don't like their victim being so close to a device that would allow them to call for help. Hearing Levi sound as though he was going to puke, he sighed. 

"If you're going to puke, go outside." He instructed his partner, who shook his head. 

"It's not that... it just seems like a crime of anger. There is so much overkill that doesn't possibly provide the idea it was premeditated." He responded, causing Kane to nod his head in agreement. His gut wasn't sure it was a single, spontaneous crime.

"Look Levi." He replied, eyes going to him before looking back at the phone in the victim's hand. 
"The unsub left the phone in the victim's hand. That isn't normal of a spontaneous crime."

Eyebrows furrowing as Levi looked towards the victim, he heaved a deep breath. 

"You don't think.."

"I do. When we get back to the station, look for cases that seem similar. Got it?"

"Yes sir."

Such a gruesome murder in the town of Watsonville was not normal, and for something of this nature to even affect the police... he had a feeling it wasn't going to be an easy case. 

_______________________________________________________________________

Back at the office, Kane sat down in his chair, eyes on the computer screen as he began to go through case files, before a certain case caught his eyes. 

Watsonville Massacre. He remembered this. It was one of the first cases he had helped with as a police detective in his early twenties. He looked through the photos that were on the file, and one thing in particular caught his eye. 

A certain phrase mentioning how the victim was found close to the phone. While the phone wasn't in their hand, he knew the case of five years ago and now had to be related somehow. But how? 

"EVANS!!!!!!" He yelled out, causing Levi to come running so fast he almost went past Kane's office.

"What's up?" He asked his chief, eyebrows furrowed. 

"Take a look at this." He moved over so Levi could see, a satisfied grin forming across his lips. Levi looked at Kane, his eyes wide. 

"Is it... you don't think..."

"I do. And if I'm right, it's the same person."

Kane was satisfied. Now that he had a lead, he could finally try to figure out not only who, but why, these murders were occurring.