Chapter One

I laid on the cold ground, covered in dirt and blood. I was tired, exhausted, I had ran miles to get away from that place. I'd been there my entire life, now finally, I escaped. I had been running for days, through the woods, sleeping in trees or caves. I haven't had any food and I've only drank rain water. I was tried but I knew I had to move on if I wanted to live. Slowly I stood up and continued walking.

     As I walked my pace got increasingly slower and slower, until I was hardly walking. I fell to my knees. I had lost a lot of blood, I was surprised I had survived this long. I could hear water, a creek or river maybe, and water always led to civilization. I could barely move but, slowly I crawled my way towards the water.

     I made it. It was a small river, and it was beautiful. The water was clear and the sun was shining off it. The trees were extra green and their leaves floated down the river. I could see ducks swimming by, a mom and seven babies. I slowly made my way over to the water to get a drink. I bent over it to cup some water in my hands, when I saw my reflection. My face was stained with red, blood, I could see my cheek bones clearly, I was skinny, I had just noticed you could see my ribs, my eyes were red with exhaustion.

     I drank some water and laid there. I knew if I followed the water I would find someone, but I couldn't seem to move. I tried to stay awake but I couldn't, my eyes closed, I couldn't keep them open.

     I heard a sound, a person, footsteps. I could tell it was a man from the way he smelled and his heavy footsteps. I could hear him getting closer but I couldn't move, or open my eyes. All I could do was lay there. As he got closer I was finally able to open my eyes a little, everything was blurry. Finally he was standing right over me, I could see his blurry figure, I could make out his beard and his leather jacket. He bent down and picked me up, then my eyes shut.