six

17th January 2024
02: 30 P.M.
Sunshine Public School

Betty realised the real motive behind Emma sitting behind her as she received a notebook from her. She opened it and welcomed a written note as she anticipated.

I know you killed Dorothea.

Taking out her black pen, Betty wrote her reply.

This is a stupid blame, Emma. Why should I kill her?

Showing no expressions, Betty passed the notebook to Emma. And after a few seconds, she received the message from her.

One: You were angry that she sabotaged your relationship.
Two: You were afraid that this school would ridicule you when they find that you fucked that new librarian, who is around a decade older than you.

I wish I could kill her for Reason One. But Reason Two is so stupid. It's not like that.

"Only if you knew, Emma," thought Betty, suppressing herself from revealing what had happened.

Okay, fine. But, where were you yesterday?

I don't have to tell YOU that.

I have all right to know it. Dorothea trusts me like family.

I don't give a fuck about it.

You have to tell it, Betty.

I'd rather kill you than tell you what had happened.

Ooh! You sent me a death threat. I'm scared, Allen.

Oh! Then, listen to me. I'll kill you like I belong from Hell, and you and your best friend will roam in Hell for sure.

But then, she regretted it soon after passing the notebook to Emma.

***

14th December 2023
08: 00 P.M.
Madison-Huntsville Border

August Hawkins was driving through the empty highway of the Madison-Huntsville Border, cold air possessing her car through the partially open window. Though she had tried hard to focus on driving, she couldn't. Though she chose to drive to clear her mind, she did everything except what she was supposed to do.

And that was when she found the outline of a human body standing on the very edge of a cliff.

August's car came to a halt while she jumped outside and yelled, "Excuse me. What are you doing there?"

"August, what are you doing here?" Though August couldn't see the face, the familiarity in the suicidal person's tone left her in shock, excluding the fact that August could recognise the person.

"That's my question. What are you doing here, Betty?"

"I came to die, August," Betty screamed from the core of her voice box while letting out a few dramatic sobs.

"What did you do to die?" August yelled at the same pitch she did before. "Explain."

"I can't do it here." The number of sobs reduced to zero but the drama in the air didn't.

"Then, come down and explain."

"No, I want to die."

"Betty, please!" August sounded more like a negotiator who is non-negotiable when it comes to negotiating.

With a wish to live, Betty sighed and signed in as she said, "Okay."

***

14th December 2023
08: 15 P.M.
Madison-Huntsville Border