Prologue - A Simple Notification

People constantly make jokes that every Mexican has that one person in their family who's in the cartel. Okay, horrible way to start, but just hear me out. Now, every one of my Mexican friends here has confirmed, they have that one uncle who was in the cartel, and then he went poof. The thing is, notice how I say THAT ONE person, it's usually not them and the whole family. However, this wouldn't be happening if I didn't have experience with this, huh? Okay, I really need to back up because this is a LOT, this makes me sound so racist and it's so much information to throw you.

Ok, so hiii I'm Valentina Castro, and this is so fucking cliché, but I'm an average girl: I'm 20 years old, Mexican (well born in the 909 but you get the point), currently living in Dallas, studying in university, currently studying criminal justice. I'm 4'11, I have dark brown eyes, black hair that goes a little past my bootycheeks. Yeah, typical girl, nothing special about me. I mean ppl say I have like major daddy issues, but I always say, "why would I have daddy issues if he's not even there," personally I think that people who say I have daddy issues after that are just a bunch of raging homosexuals.

Anywayssss, so this all starts before a Christmas parade that I had to do in my senior year of highschool, so I was like 17. My school decided that instead of making us wear shakos, we would wear Santa hats. Personally I thought we looked goofy, but I still took a pic and uploaded it to my story. It eventually came time where we had to so the parade, yada yada, my feet and back hurt hella from having to have my body hella straight. Anyways, we're going back to the band bus so they can take us back to the school, and we all get on. I grab my phone and I see a notification from a dude who has his name as "🦖 🦖". It was a little weird, but I've had him added for a month, this is just the first time he talks to me. I open the message, and it's just him responding to my story with "😍". I'm just like, "Oh this gotta be some 27 year old or some shit". I just responded with a singular dot. I thought that was the end of that since he left me on delivered.

Next day rolls around, I wake up to my mom yelling "VALENTINAAAAA! YA LEVÁNTATE Y PONTE A LIMPIAR NIÑA!" which translates to, "Valentina! Wake up now and clean girl!" So I get up, and I check my phone, and lo and behold, another message from Dino Boy. I open it and it's him responding with "@" and I'm just like "ok wtv" and I send him "-". I then start cleaning, I finish, bla bla, I check my phone, and guess who texted me? If you said "🦖 🦖/Dino Boy", you're right! I open it, and bro just sends me "%", so I respond with another symbol. This time he responds instantly with another symbol. We kinda go back and forth until he just asks how old I am. Of course, because I'm 17, so I say 17. He said he was 19. I was lowkey surprised, since the emoji he slid up with seemed like it'd be from some crusty ass 27 year old. I told him this and we ended up having a conversation. I eventually had to go, since I had some band rehearsal thing, and other B.S, but that I'd get back to him.

Fast forward to like 2200 hours (10:00 pm), and I get back to him like I said I would, and he responded. We got to know a little more about each other, he was from Phoenix, AZ, he boxed, and helped out his dad on his construction company. Yk normal shit. He eventually introduced himself as Alejandro. I genuinely have no clue how it got here, but it got to a point where we jus had a deep ass conversation until 0300 hours (3:00 AM), and this went on for a few days, and two weeks later came my 18th birthday. Yayyy I got old and got the right to vote and go to jail. Anyways, it was on this night that Alejandro decided, "hmmm I've known this girl for 3 weeks, yeah imma tell her about the family business." Soooo yeahhhhh, Alejandro told me that he was in the cartel, along with his whole family pretty much.

I'm not gonna lie, I genuinely did not grasp the severity of the situation. I just thought like the cartel was just like an organization full of drug dealers. I mean, it kind of is, but like it wasn't until some months later that I realized "OH FUCK I'M WALKING A VERY THIN LINE". So yeah, I guess that was kinda gay of me for not grasping the severity of the situation. I can't lie though, he was rich. I mean shit, he was heir to a construction company, and him and his whole family were high ranking members of the cartel, sooo yeah the Leyva Dynasty went hard in terms of money (hehe see what I did there). I never wanted him for his money though, I was always very clear about wanting my own money and not wanting help. Anyways yeah that's kinda how I met Alejandro and how I got into this mess to begin with. Peace ✌🏼

————————————————————-

This is my first story, so feel free to leave constructive criticism :)