Curiosity Kills

Shadow, the Ultimate Life Form, sat with his back to a large rock. Built-up walls of earth stood around him, getting taller as they turned into a large cliffside. It felt closed off from the world, yet the open air above him prevented feelings of claustrophobia. It was a perfect place to be hidden while remaining above ground, in contact with the environment.

His eyes were closed. He heard only the sounds of nature. The occasional gusts of wind, the leaves from the trees, the faint propeller of a plane engine.

Hmm? Noticing the engine getting closer, he opened one eye. It was behind him.

Just pass by...

Nope, it was definitely getting closer, to ground level now.

He tried to ignore it. What were the odds they would stumble upon him? Not high, surely.

The plane landed somewhere outside the walls, near the open entrance to the small canyon. He heard some movement. Multiple individuals getting out.

"You can see the difference in the soil, right? Compared to the sample?"

"Hmm, I guess I can see it now."

"...I'm not seeing anything. But if you say you see it, I believe you."

He identified the voices easily. They didn't know he was there yet, but they were approaching. He stayed in his spot, but prepared to move.

"I know it's not much, but there's a distinct clay pattern here. The different sediment here could mean that there was some body of water right in this area long ago!"

It was the fox speaking.

"Wow, it's neat that we can look into the past just by looking at the environment!"

"Huh, yeah, that is cool, I guess."

Two non-Sonic companions. Mildly surprising.

"I promise this will be a short stop," Tails said. "Just a few notes, pictures, readings..."

A few moments of silence. The rock Shadow was sitting behind kept him out of sight. Perhaps they would go away without disturbing him.

He heard some footsteps. He tried to remain still. For a little while, there were no disturbances.

"So..." began Knuckles, after a minute. "Is there anything we can do to help you finish?"

"Sorry, I'll only be a bit longer," said Tails, who was now significantly closer to Shadow's rock. "A map is only as good as it is accurate!"

"Yeah, but it's not like we'll be navigating in the past..."

Shadow suddenly felt uncomfortable in his posture leaning against the hard rock. His ear twitched. He shifted slightly, trying to remain imperceptible.

"It'll be worth it. The history of these hills deserves to be known. You never know what insights we could find."

The fox was too close now; he was going to be noticed. Gritting his teeth, he shut his eyes and tried to find the right volume.

"Excuse me."

Tails jumped back.

From a distance, he heard Amy. "Who is that?"