The Fire and Flame

Dedicated to divii_babu

Arya:

I stood there, my mind racing for a way to sway him. Ishaan's car glided out of the driveway, and he lowered the window, his eyes cold and unyielding.

"Didn't I tell you to go away?" His voice sliced through the air. "Don't tarnish my reputation by clinging to me like a shadow. Just leave."

"I'm sorry," I stammered, my heart pounding.

"Sorry?" Ishaan scoffed. "Go to hell with your apologies." He sped away, leaving me standing there, the weight of his disdain heavy on my shoulders.

I perched on the nearby steps, waiting for him. Ishaan would return only after dark. How long should I endure this? How long until he softened, until his anger dissolved?

Surprisingly, he reappeared within thirty minutes. I watched from my hiding spot, curiosity piqued. Why had he returned so soon? His gaze swept the surroundings, searching. I stepped forward, unwilling to play a futile game of hide-and-seek that fuels his anger further.

"Are you looking for me?" I asked, my voice steady.

"I came back for a file," Ishaan replied, his expression guarded.

"Searching outside the house?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Why didn't you leave?" His frustration simmered.

"Because I promised I'd never abandon you," I said, my resolve and love for him unwavering.

"Promise." Ishaan said. "You stayed because of that promise, otherwise you would have fled away for your so called self respect. Isn't it?"

"I'll do anything," I blurted out. "I won't go to India. I'll follow your every command. Please."

"Anything?" Ishaan's lips twisted. "Fine. Get lost."

"Please," I said, though I know he would definitely allow me inside and he came back only for that.

"Go inside," he ordered. "We'll talk in the evening. But if you're gone by the time I return, not Varun but I will break your legs this time."

I nodded innocently listening to his warning which was both absurd and endearing, a testament to the complexity of our relationship.

"And your file?" I had teased, knowing well that Ishaan's temper flared easily. I loved to push his buttons, to see the fire in his eyes.

"Search it and keep it ready by the time I come home," he'd instructed, his voice firm.

"But which file?" I had asked innocently, feigning ignorance.

Ishaan's gaze had pierced through me, a silent reprimand. He'd left without answering, leaving me with a mixture of amusement and anticipation. His anger was like a storm—fierce and passionate—but it was always followed by moments of tenderness that melted my heart.

I stood watching him drive away.  This guy is full of ego and anger yet his heart is filled with love and compassion. Could I ever bring back that Ishaan in him?

I went inside and took a long, hot shower, the water soothing my nerves. I knew there was no actual file to search; this was just another one of Ishaan's whims. Yet, I played along, setting the room cleanly and organized.

When Ishaan returned, he found me waiting. His eyes softened as they met mine. "Did you search the file?" he asked, his tone a blend of exasperation and longing.

"Which file?" I replied, my lips curving into a playful smile.

"So you didn't search the file," he said, stepping closer. "You said you'd do anything I say, but once again, you've defied me."