Aghast and in Ashes

On the vast white marble floor stood a spot of blood red facing a man in a raven tuxedo. The warm lighting of the washroom didn't do much to thaw the cold that had grown between the two. Anika's lips quivered as she turned away from the man she had once loved, her scarlet gown swirling along with her hostile movements. He made no attempts to placate her, this had been coming, they just didn't know when things would boil over.

One of the bathroom stalls blew open, startling both of them. Ishaan almost staggered forward. The lady walked straight to the washbasin and started humming as she washed her hands. She was reaching over to the soap dispenser when she noticed Anika. She looked at her and Ishaan who standing a couple of paces behind. Muttering a sorry she bustled out.

Anika leaned over the black marble countertop, trying to blink her tears away. This was all too much. She lifted her eyes to meet her own in the mirror, and towards the left behind her stood Ishaan. Unable to bear it she looked down to the sink again. She turned on the water and it gushed out of the gilded tap.

"I'm sorry that I'm doing this today but I'm just not happy in this relationship," Ishaan stated curtly.

"What do you mean?" she tried to protest, although she knew exactly what he meant. Their relationship had soured over the last year, him getting so prickly they barely wanted to ever see each other. But theirs had been puppy love- two optimistic students in business school joining their hearts and forces, dreaming of becoming a power couple to be reckoned with, of building an empire to be in awe of. And so it was hard to give up on it, especially so suddenly.

But a couple of years down the line, in the rat race of life and commerce, she had emerged a victor while he lagged. Today as she stood as a nominee for the rising entrepreneurs, he was just clapping for her a passive investor in her business.

Seeing that he looked down at the floor she continued, "You've got a lot going for you too, things will look up in no time."

He shook his head and finally replied, "My dad prefers you as his heir over me. I wonder why that is," he spat.

Tears finally streamed down her face at this. She knew he was childish, rash and overall unsuitable for his line of work, but never had she expected him to be heartless. His dad and her prime investor had been her godfather in business all the way from college. it was true he was disappointed in how his son was doing in the field but that was no excuse to slander them this way.

"If that's how things are, I don't suppose there's much else left to say. I suppose we're done," she resigned. Words can sting what knives can't cut, and there was no saving this relationship, or this man.

His eyes flickered with regret for a second, but the apology stayed right there on the tip of his tongue, as he stalked out of the room. That will be the last time Anika ever spoke to her first love.

She splashed cold water on her face, she wasn't about to go down with this. Oh lord no! She was going to hold her head up high and get out there. Anika had no doubt Ishaan's father would draw back his investments since his supporting her after their break up would only lead to scandal.

Luckily for her, this was the biggest business event in the country. And when she had the spotlight on her as a nominee, she might as well use it to rope in a new investor.

The lady from earlier fussed in again, her fur-lined gown making the Janitor's life easier.

"Oh honey, I forgot to wash my hands earlier," she chuckled. Her hands rose to cover her mouth before she gasped, aghast and rushed the basins with renewed vigour. When she had opened the door, it had let in an announcement from the banquet hall.

"Next we move on to the Entrepreneur of the Year award. Put your hands up for the nominees."

Anika splashed some water on her face and carefully dabbed the water away, trying to not upset her make-up. A light touch-up later she stepped into the great hall.

"Where were you?" her secretary hissed at her.

Anika waved away her concerns, watching as the guest of honour opened the envelope containing the winner's name. Other than the one focused on him, the spotlights chased each other amongst the audience.

The frail man adjusted the mic to point straight at his mouth before making the announcement. He coughed, a twinkle in his eyes, clearly enjoying the anticipation the audience felt.

For a man nearing a century of life, his voice was loud and commanding as he read out

"The Entrepreneur of the Year is..."