chapter 1- bigmouth strikes again

-reader's pov

bubbling with a strong sense of confidence, i proudly trudge up to the kingdom of aurea's soldier recruitment camp. the sun was bright and hot, as per. maybe wearing the traditional knight's attire wasn't the best idea. beads of sweat dripped down the side of my face beneath my metal helmet. it made me look over the top (i could tell this due to all the stares i was receiving from passing men who were already knights.) but i didn't care. i was used to it after all— men staring, (not because of my looks if you're wondering; but rather because of my well.. desire to become a knight despite being a woman.)

a bearded man snickered as he passed me, he gave me a quick glance and began muttering to himself. "daft woman." i heard him utter yet i didn't flinch.

reaching the cloth gazebo, i come to a halt at the wooden table with a beautifully handcrafted design. the man at the table looks up at me tiredly.

"y/n." he sighs typically, almost exasperatedly. "i know it's you. take off the helmet, you look ridiculous."

rolling my eyes beneath the humid helmet, i pull it off. fresh air meets my lungs and its extremely refreshing. "look, please just hear me out—"

i'm met with the man interrupting me— nothing new. "i've heard you out fifty four times before now, y/n." he tuts condescendingly, "you're not joining aurea's army." he states it and i'm sick of hearing it. i'm always sick of hearing it.

i throw my arms up in protest, "why not??" i groan frustratedly.

he gives me a cocky look. "because you're a girl." he replied blankly, "the army doesn't recruit women because they're simply not capable of fighting." he shrugs carelessly, "you'd be much more acquainted to being a housewife— like all the other women of aurea."

every time those words leave his mouth i instinctively get a burning desire to smash every tooth in his head— this being the fifty fifth time now. i fold my arms over my chest. "do i look like the maternal type to you? who'd happily settle down with some sweaty man?!?" i retort with a voice dripping with sarcasm.

the man at the front desk chuckled, shaking his head typically. "you'll soon come around, miss s/n."

i don't even bother to react anymore, i'm used to hearing it. "we'll see about that." i snark before turning away and storming off. small clouds of a paprika-coloured dust billowing at my feet as i walk across the roads which horse-carriages often speed up and down.

speaking of horse-carriages, in a world of my own resentment, i don't pay attention to the oncoming carriage. i mindlessly step out onto the gritty road; narrowly missing the grand, golden carriage hurtling right my way.

i immediately let out a sharp gasp, clasping a hand to my heart as my foot is so nearly crushed by the turning wheel of the carriage.

"watch out, girl!" the man holding the horse reigns at the front yells aggressively. my attention isn't on him though— but rather a young woman, watching with eyes wide of surprise.

a curious pair of brown, glistening eyes were watching me carefully through the clear, glass window as the carriage passed. i stared back for a moment, looking like a total klutz in knight's uniform.

yet the girl didn't do nothing but blink at me. eventually, the carriage was far-gone, heading at a haste pace towards the luxurious castle.

a deep sigh whistles through my lips and i trudge on back home, disappointed as per usual.