1 - Rehabilitation

(hello thanks for reading my story im gonna vom)

Out of all of the evildoers Moss had fought, Greddonill was definitely their favorite.

He had been earnestly excited to talk to people. He gave up control over his undead minions once he learned they weren't doing good. He made an exhibit of their favorite childhood book. He was willing to come back to Red Larch to learn about people and become a proper member of society. He had tolerated the horrible looks from people. He had been a nice roommate.

Oh yes, he's also an undead mind flayer necromancer. Well, he gave up the necromancy. But the other parts have definitely been an issue for everybody else in Red Larch.

Not for Moss.

When the question was raised about what room in the tavern he would be staying in, Moss quickly volunteered. They didn't mind. The other party members probably weren't as comfortable with a roommate, and Gwen already had Trixie in her room. Besides, maybe his magic could help with their nightmares.

(end of canonicity here lol. also kind of a perspective shift to Greddonill)

It had been about a week since then. There had been a few expeditions and fights against elemental cults to keep Moss busy, but Greddonill had mostly been staying in his room. He was still feeling quite unwelcome in Red Larch, despite visits from the party and a few more accepting or curious locals. He raised this concern to Moss upon waking.
"I think I might have a solution!", they said, before lightly jogging away. They came back in a few hours with a large pile of books from the local store. "I got you a bunch of ones I like! I hope they'll keep you occupied while we're away." They let the books fall onto their bed, which Greddonill teetered over to.

It was certainly quite a collection. Adventurer salary makes a sometimes expensive hobby like reading not a concern. Greddonill leafed through the covers. Many of the books depicted well-built people standing on rocky or treacherous terrain, usually pointing a weapon into the sky. Sometimes the sun beamed down from the clouds upon them. Others had somewhat underdressed people clinging to their limbs.
This wasn't the only genre, of course. Some books had shady scenes of inquisitives discovering scenes of tragedy. A few textbooks with mythical creatures or symbols of gods. There was one book that stuck out, though. A depiction of a high elf with a sultry expression, with a VERY large-framed lizardfolk behind them. Titled "My Slimy Escapades with The Lizardfolk", this book certainly didn't have any good intentions.

At this point, Moss had noticed Greddonill's heavy examinations of the books. "I just asked the shopkeeper what books were the most popular lately. I figured it'd give you some topics to talk about with people here. If you find any you really like, tell me about them! I'm going to go help out with the hole in the center of town." Moss had already left before Greddonill could say anything. They must be busy.

Well, it seems like Moss got these books randomly. That would explain why this obviously trashy book is in this pile of otherwise harmless literature. No, why would they buy a book with THAT type of content featuring a lizardfolk like them that OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be depicted well? Yes, this book is truly an oddity. Certainly not very good at all. Better to leave it alone.

Greddonill swept the other books onto the ground and started reading "My Slimy Escapedes with the Lizardfolk".

His eyes bulge out of the sockets.

(hello thats the end of chapter 1. first chapter of anything ive ever written. please tell me any of your thoughts about it please thank you aaaaugh)

(also here's what they both look like)