Regrets - Swiftpaw x Dad!Reader

The art featured in this chapter was made by WildDusTT.

Welcome to the first ever chapter of my second Warriors-inspired book! Please feel free to tell me what you think of my new aesthetic, and what you think of the chapter overall! Wattpad has been giving me a bit of trouble with fonts and centering as of late, so I hope nothing looks too wonky! Also, this chapter contains, mild gore, mild violence, angst, death, and spoilers for A Dangerous Path!

Thank you for reading. Have a lovely day or night! ❤️

Requested by ShadowRaven_26

****

The way the entire Clan gathered together to welcome new warriors always made you feel like the forest was getting a new beginning. The sight of fresh young faces glowing with delight as Bluestar spoke their new names was refreshing, and this time, you had an even bigger reason to feel elated about the sacred ceremony.

     "Can you see him?" Your mate, Goldenflower, whispered excitedly, peering through the gap in between Brindleface and Frostfur in an attempt to spot your son at the front of the crowd. You blinked, craning your neck to see over the heads of your clanmates. You spotted a familiar black-and-white pelt a moment later, sitting uncertainly next to Brightpaw, Fernpaw, Ashpaw, and Thornpaw.

     You frowned, attempting to catch his eye. Why wasn't he sitting with Cloudpaw? Surely, Bluestar had agreed to give Swiftpaw his warrior name! He fought in the battle, too! Goldenflower followed your gaze, her eyes resting on the black-and-white tom. "Why isn't he sitting below the Highrock?" She whispered. "Isn't he going to lick Bluestar's shoulder?"

     You weren't sure what to say. You had no idea what in StarClan's name was going on, but something felt uneasy. Just then, Longtail emerged from the side of the clearing, his blue eyes burning with anger. "Longtail," You greeted your son's mentor with a polite dip of your head. "Do you know what's going on? Swiftpaw appears to be sitting with the other apprentices rather than Cloudpaw."

The pale tabby cast a begrudging glance at the base of the Highrock, where Fireheart was standing. "Swiftpaw won't be getting his warrior name tonight," He growled, turning his gaze back to you. "I've just spoken to the kittypet, and he claims Bluestar says Swiftpaw didn't do enough in the battle to earn his new name." You felt your jaw tighten subconsciously as you processed what Longtail had just said to you. Goldenflower let out a shocked gasp, looking up at you as if begging for your help. It made your heart ache with grief; you wanted nothing more than to see your son happy, and he clearly wasn't very happy from what you could see of him.

"Thank you, Longtail," You meowed as calmly as you could manage. "I'll handle this from here." The pale tabby watched you for a moment, then nodded curtly and stalked away.

Goldenflower tensed beside you. "What are you going to do?" She asked anxiously.

"I'm going to wait and see what Bluestar has to say," You replied tensely. "Maybe Longtail misheard Fireheart." Your mate opened her jaws to protest, but Bluestar leaped onto the top of the Highrock before she could utter another word. You watched your leader closely, and it took you a moment to register just how awful she looked. She had clearly taken a turn for the worse since you last saw her. Her whiskers were crooked, her once deeply brilliant blue eyes were dull and uninterested, and her pelt looked as though it hadn't been groomed in at least a few days. She scanned the gathered crowd with her dull eyes, then grimaced with disgust. You narrowed your gaze, your muscles tensing. What was she going to say in her defense?