neuf

22nd January 2024
03: 00 P.M.
Betty's House

"Is this Mr Allen's house?" Lora questioned Lily Allen from outside the house.

"Yes. And, you are?" Lily's eyes wrinkled at the inability to recognise Lora.

"We're from the West Precinct Police Office. Is he at home now?" Lora's gaze fell behind Lily's shoulders.

"Yes, he is," Lily stammered after noticing the police car behind Lora. "Is it something important?"

"Unfortunately, it is." Lora shrugged and walked backwards to Vedika, who was inside the car. "Commander, he is inside."

"Okay, let's go," Vedika replied and opened the door, letting Lily and Lora lead her.

"Jeremiah!" Lily shouted as the trio entered the living room. "He's watering the plants on the terrace. Could you please wait for a while? Ummm… Why not get seated?"

"Sure, Mrs Allen. Thank you." Vedika shot a grateful smile as the cop duo sat on the black leather couch.

"What happened, Lily?" Jeremiah Allen inquired his wife as he entered the living room, but his feet came to a halt as he saw Vedika and Lora there. He looked at Lily as if to ask, "Who are they?" While she shrugged her shoulders.

"Mr Allen?" Vedika shot up from her seat and took two steps forward while Jeremiah nodded a yes. "Well, hi! I'm Vedika Shergill, Commander, West Precinct Police Office."

"Oh, hello, Miss Shergill!" Jeremiah greeted as he stepped forward and shook hands with Vedika. "How can I help you? What would you like to have?"

"Ah, nothing. We're fine," brushed off Vedika while he escorted her to her initial seat and sat on the couch chair.

"That's great." He nodded his head while sparing a glance at his nervous wife. "Ummm… May I know the reason for your visit?"

"Yes, sure, Mr Allen. But before that, I would like to have the conversation in privacy. So…" She shifted her focus to Lily, suggesting in the most indirect way to leave them alone.

"Uh, I understand," replied Lily, grasping Vedika's thoughts. "Jere, take them to the terrace. I can wait here."

Breaking down into a smile, Vedika placed her hand on her chest as she said, "Oh, thank you so much, Mrs Allen." Turning her focus back to Jeremiah, Vedika requested, "Shall we go, Mr Allen?"

"Yes, Miss Shergill," he agreed while getting off from his place.

"Commander," Lora pulled the sleeve of Vedika's black shirt while whispering in her ear. "Look there." She pointed her chin to her right as Vedika looked down at her brunette subordinate, her eyes going as wide as an omelette.

It was a family portrait of Jeremiah, Lily, and their 17-year-old daughter seated on a park bench at some park. They didn't look like a family having a strained relationship with their daughter. They looked like a happy family. Pictures can lie at times, but Vedika knew that that picture wasn't lying.

"Who's this girl?" Vedika turned to the Allens, her index finger landed on their pale-blonde-haired daughter.

"That's our daughter, Betty," Jeremiah replied, a sad smile creeping onto his face.

Of course, it had to be Betty. With honey-brown eyes, a heart-shaped face, thin cheeks, and an hourglass figure, Betty looked more like Lily Allen's daughter than of Jeremiah Allen's daughter. Yet, her broad nose is proof that she was Jeremiah's daughter as well.

"Wow!" Vedika looked at Lora with an, "It's not a coincidence" look while Lora looked back at her with an, "I saw this coming" expression. "So…" In a bid to brush off Betty's thoughts from her mind, Vedika suggested, "Shall we go upstairs, Mr Allen?"