Prologue and Introduction

(Picrew credits go to Veluv_art. Go support them 🫶)

The dance floor was a blaze of life and euphoria. Among mortals, I take twisting steps across and plaster my face with a smile, mapping my way through the crowd like a maze. I am well hidden behind a disguise. To no mortal eye would they know I was going to outlive them by lifetimes, that I was a symbol on the celestial guardian's circle. Blending in was easy with a black satin slip dress. Few eyes would drag on my body, long loose knit curls in a ponytail and tight braid crown my head like a band. It was pale, a blonde so light it was like snow.

Once I finally manoeuvred around drunken dancers, I ordered myself a drink. I hadn't drunk in a good few decades. I called for something strong, something that would leave my eyes dark and cratered in the morning, a slurry flurry mess tonight. I take a swig of my drink and look around the club, observing the mortals and their ecstasy. I wasn't here to party, well, for the most part I wasn't. I was on a mission. Surreal activity has been reported in the past few days and for centuries I have been on a break, only patrolling and reporting any minor signs but this was a strong sense, we all stung with it. The area seems as normal as ever, just people enjoying an exhilarating night. I saw a man with a girl wrapped around him. His head was bowed and lips pressed his glass. Something about him made me twitch, that slick back hair and a face shadowed, a sharp collar exposed as the higher buttons of his shirt were undone. Sleeved rolled to just below his elbow, one hand held a tall glass while the other caressed the woman's knee. It took a moment to process the familiarity of the man but then it hit me. Thoas. This was the surreal force of a sting. The warlord himself, the threat I had seeked before. He was the arising evil. He led the Nebula. And he was the monster who seeked revenge for the exile he rightfully deserved but he was much a blind man. I stride over to the pair. I had much empathy for the mortal girl, falling for Thoas was a drunk mistake. I smile sweetly, like Thoas is an old friend who I happen to stumble upon. It wasn't all a lie, Thoas was a past friend but he did not own the right to that title anymore.

"Thoas? Is that you?" I asked, fake cheerful.

His head raises, thin amber eyes pierce through me with a sharp expression. A smirk tugs at the corners of his mouth. "Moon? Oh, good even. It's been a while, hasn't it, old fiend?"

"It has been a while. I didn't expect you to rise to power again. I thought we drained you and your immortal power? The power left of you was the superNovas and what was left of the Nebula," I was struck by how he was here. We had defeated him centuries ago. He was supposed to be gone with the wind.

"Well, I suppose we're all full of surprises. Like how you left me unjustified at my exile."

"Do not blame me. Venus is the one you need if you want to be justified. Not me. I believe your exile was rightful."

"It is all right and fair. That's what they all say"

"I do not know how you regained power. We locked it away. We practically killed you. How do you step foot?"

"My minions still reign. They have been putting blood, sweat, and tears into rousing me from the grave. And they were successful," Thoas eyes gleamed to the woman beside him, a hint of malice in the glow of them. It just then made me realise his special woman was no drunk or naive mortal, it was a Nebulous, a person who blindly followed Thoas's commands and agreed to his morals. They were his servants, soldiers, spies, and much more. They were his minions.

"You haven't introduced me to this fine lady. Greetings, I'm Moon," I wiped a smile up quickly and pasted it to my lips.

The minion did not crack a smile, she just nodded and replied. "Hello, Moon. It's a pleasure to meet an old friend of Thoas."