Chapter 1 - Welcome To An Unfamiliar Place

As you fought through the searing pain in your calves, your determination to push forward grew stronger with each step. The hunger aching in your stomach was overwhelming , but you clung to the hope of finding help. Despite the weakness in your legs and the fog finding its way into your vision, you held onto the knife as a lifeline, a symbol of your will to survive. With resilience, you trudged ahead, refusing to give in to the challenges that threatened to consume you.

In the unhelpful windy weather, you find no aid for your adventure, only the cold that sends shivers down your spine. The moon's glow is distorted by the chaotic tangle of neglected trees, their branches swaying in the wind. Moments like these were what made you wish you had someone to accompany you, yet you're relieved by the absence of approaching footsteps. All you hear is the rustle of branches colliding, as your weary feet drag along the ground and your eyes scan the monotonous scenery. Each tree merges into the next, and every blade of grass becomes an indiscernible blur.

Your neck strained, feeling rigid and mechanical as you lifted it, your eyebrows raising and your eyes sparkling with delight as you admired the brick wall secured by a white gate. Amongst the barricade, you spotted various pieces of furniture, clearly arranged by human hands. Just a few meters away from potential safety and companionship, you gathered whatever energy you had within you left and trudged towards the structure. As of now, pain and exhaustion were irrelevant; all that mattered was reaching safety. Despite your weakening knees, you pressed on until they finally gave way, causing you to collapse.

Determinedly gazing up at the area ahead, your arms throbbing with pain, you forged ahead, inching closer to the gate. Exhausted and drained, you felt no surge of fight or flight instincts within you, only focused on seeking aid. Your eyes drifted to the moss-covered brick wall, catching a glimpse of a small figure darting elsewhere. Internally, you groaned at the thought of encountering more people. Despite wanting human contact after so long, you couldn't discern if they were friendly or hostile. Did it even matter anymore? Perhaps death wouldn't be so terrible; your body seemed to be surrendering regardless.

With a trembling hand, you reached out to touch the moss-covered brick wall, only inches from the gate, while voices on the other side bickered about a newcomer. The coolness of the wall offered aid to your red, bloodied palm as your grip on the machete in your other hand faltered, weakened beyond measure. Your body felt numb, devoid of sensation, and not in a comforting way. As the gate creaked open, the voices grew louder in argument. You patted and searched the ground around you, seeking your weapon in case of any danger.

The bickering quieted down as you watched through half-closed eyes, a silhouette approaching you, followed closely by another. As they drew nearer, you could tell that they were around your age. Relief washed over you at the prospect of encountering what could be friends or help, but you remained cautious, unwilling to let your guard down.

There were two of them, or at least only two visible to you. A boy with a dirty blonde mullet and a weathered letterman jacket crouched down, his expression unreadable, far from welcoming. Your gaze shifted to the girl beside him. She was shorter, dressed in a long-sleeved blue striped shirt with a dark orange vest over it, her attention solely fixed on him with a perturbed expression. "Marlon," she gritted through clenched teeth, "What if she's with-"

"Stop it, Brody. Quit with the paranoia," he warned in a firm yet hushed tone. Gesturing towards you with an open palm, he continued, "She's not a threat. Just look at her."

"Look at how pale she is, Marlon! What if she's bit? We agreed: no more mouths to feed. We have enough as it is..." Her voice trailed off, the last part quieter than before, if that were even possible.