Chapter 1

"back to hillershka"

Christmas break at the Palace had been everything but festive

The Queen being busier than usual and the still recent passing of Erik, made things complicated back at home, so the family did not spend as much time together as they usually did. At least Isobelle tried to do what she could to make her brother feel better and tried to lift his spirits by baking every single christmas dessert she knew. Baking also helped her think, and god knew she had way too many things to think about. Like the fact the she was a couple of months away of turning seventeen, but soon to be engaged to Frederic.

Being engaged meant that so many things would be different than she had originally planned. And as much as the whole "arranged marriage" situation sounded old fashioned, being a part of the royal family meant that her mother was not only that, but also her boss. 

At least being away from the drama gave finally gave her time to make peace with the future she was about to step into. She knew it could be a lot worse, she could have been set to marry a stranger, yet the person she was about to share the rest of her life with, was a man that she loved. And having met other boys before, all a perfect match for a princess, as her mother said, Frederic was the only one she truly and sincerely loved and cared for.

So, when the day the twins were supposed to go back to Hillershka came around, so did a sense of relief. Even if it meant going back to their agitated lifestyles there, they were dying to leave their home, where each day that passed, the place seemed lonelier.

Also. Isobelle could not bare the guilt she felt by being there, any longer. On the rare occasions that she did share some time with her mother, she couldn't ignore the looks the woman gave her. It was as if she was looking for answers. Wondering what could have been if her son hadn't gone to pick the girl, what if she had chosen to just stay at the school. Isobelle was about to lose her mind.

"Ready to leave?" She asked her brother, whose thoughts were interrupted by the girl. He could not stop thinking about August and what he had done. He was filled with rage.

"Yes, they have already carried my luggage to the car." He smiled at his sister, who knew exactly what he had been thinking about, for she had found a burnt picture from Erik's room in Wilhelm's desk. To be more precise, August was what had been burnt from the picture. "It's just..." He trailed off, trying to find a way to explain what he was feeling.

Isobelle sighed before walking closer to him, she grabbed both his hands and squeezed them lightly as a way of showing her support.

"I know, believe me, I do. But you will have to try to ignore him Wille. We cannot let August ruin our lives more than he already has, we shouldn't give him the satisfaction." She softly let go of his hands and picked up his coat from his bed, handing it to him.