Chapter 1: My First Summer Trip.

June 21st 2022.

I don't know what the word for being excited and scared might be, sicited? Ecarded? No those are stupid and probably aren't even words. I am still debating if I want to bring this journal with me on this trip. Not because I don't like writing in you, but I don't want the others to find this journal out and go reading through it. I am fifteen years old nearly 16 and I don't want to deal with the teasing of my friends for still having a journal. Technically a diary but I think journal makes it sound more grown up. I don't know who is more nervous for me leaving with The Jackson family for an entire week, me or my foster, my mother. I am trying to build up the courage to call her mother, the last few parents... I am getting off topic again, perhaps this is why my journal is running out of space. I lost focus too fast when writing this thing.

When Tamara, asked me if I wanted to go with them to San Antonio, I dont know why I said yes, the farthest from home I have even was when I went to that stupid concert last month. Can't even remember the band and that was just to the arena downtown. I like my cozy little home, and I love spreading with Ms. Hollands. I know I saw it too much but she has been the kindest woman since. I don't wanna think about the past anymore. No way I can back out at the last minute, they could be here any minute and I don't want them to have wasted even a cent of gas coming to pick me up. I don't know much about San Antonio but as long as it is as hot as I have read about then I should be fine. I have an unhealthy obsession with fire and heat, or at least that is what Tamara says. I can't help it, I have been like this since I was just a little girl. It reminds me of that time when.

"Summer June!" I jumped as an old stern voice seemed to boom up the stairway. My journal tumbled out of my lap thudding down onto my clattered bedroom floor. "If I have to call your name one more time. You aren't gonna step out of this house for the rest of the summer! The Jackson's could be here any second little lady!"

"I am coming!" I slid off my bed, stubbing my toe on a pile of books that rested nearby. I was about to leave my room, but I saw the faint outline of my backpack still resting on my desk. I quickly collected the ragidity yellow bag as well as my journal quickly making my way down the stairs. I passed by old pictures of former kids Ms. Hollands hung proudly in her corridor, my picture being added two years ago.

My things were waiting where I left them this morning. Two suitcases, and another bookbag with a few of my favorite books inside. As I threw my book bag on the stack, I could hear my foster mother's voice come from behind me.

"Summer, do you have everything you need? Your bathing suit, your phone charges, do you have your wallet, what about your journal? I know you probably need that. What about-" I finally spun around to face my foster mother with a small smile forming across my face. Her eyes looking tired from age, but she was just as lively as any young woman I knew. Her brown hair started to turn gray from her older age, her face sunken in a bit but still as warm and welcoming as any mother. It was hard to believe she was 65 years old sometimes, anyone else would have guessed that she was maybe 45.

"Ms. Holland, I promise you I have everything I need." I annouced with a small giggle escaping from my mouth. I walked forward towards her putting my hands on her shoulders. I only came up to her shoulders so I needed to stand on my tiptoes to look her in the eyes. "I am only going to the beach for the week. You act like I am going across the ocean or something."

Her hands reached up finding a new resting spot on my cheeks. "I know... but that doesn't stop me from worrying about you. You haven't been away from me for this long, and I just want you to be safe."

"Ms. Holland I am gonna be just fine, we will be back on monday afternoon. You know Mrs. Jackson is very orderly, and she will make sure we are okay." At that moment a loud hooking noise could be heard, and I turned to grab my bags. "I will see you Monday, Ms. Holland I promise."