Part 1 The Mortal Cup

"Ro? Rowan? ROWAN?!"

I zoned back in when I see a hand being waved in my face.

"Sorry Simon what did you say?"

"I asked if you talked to Jocelyne about Clary's Birthday celebration? Are you ok? you look like you haven't slept hardly at all."

"I'm fine you know I've been having crazy dreams for a while."

before we continue this  conversation about my sleep deprivation we both see clary walking towards us with a sad expression on her face.

"Give me the professors' names and I will end them. You know, with a scathing e-mail to the dean."

"Don't bother." Clary said as she passed an envelope towards Simon I read the words "congratulations" over his shoulder. 

"What? The sad face? Really? Well played Clary, well played."

"Thanks you guys.  You know, it's weird. They kind of liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel."

She flipped open her cover and what I saw on the front page made my heart stutter. Those are the runes of a shadowhunter. I swallow thickly and look back at her trying to conceal my shock and worry.

"You're welcome. I-"

"Clary where... where did you get the idea for these?"  I couldn't help but interrupt Simon.

"You know I was just in the zone when I was working and I didn't even realize that I had drawn it. This day will go down in history as the greatest 18th birthday I ever had."

"Which is why we are celebrating tonight. Yes, with Maureen, after our show. Ro has already told your mom we would all be out.

"Absolutely. So... what's the deal with you and Maureen?"

Knowing full and well he is in love with Clary I decide to mess with my little brother and play along.

"Yeah Simon what's the deal with you and Maureen."

I gave him a secret look that passed only from me to Simon. 

"What deal? No deal. We sing together."

"You seriously don't know she's been crushing on you this whole time?"

"What? No. No way"

"Simon, how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realize that the person sitting right there is in love with you?"

" I just sit back with my drink and enjoy the show because I've been trying to get Simon to admit his feelings to Clary for MONTHS.

"Oh my god Clary you're so right!"

"I guarantee you I'm not the only smart, perceptive person to make that mistake."

Clary looks down confused and I too look at the spot she's staring at with total confusion. Am I the only one that noticed her biscotti became a drawing?

I shake my head to clear the fog. Great I'm seeing things that aren't there. God I need sleep.

"That's a latte."

"But I could have sworn I had a biscotti."

"Maybe you ate it really fast and didn't even notice. Happens to me all the time. When I'm happy... when I'm sad. But I will replace your mythical biscotti with an actual one."

"Lack of sleep. That's what I chalk everything up to."

Clary just laughs at my comment as we continue with our breakfast.

Me and Clary walked a few blocks to her and Jocelyn's apartment.

We had some mindless conversation to fill  the silence before we got to clary's apartment.

"Dot! Hey it's so good to see you!"

We exchange hugs

"Rowan it's so good to see you. How have you to girls been?" She asks while hugging Clary.

"Good! How's your future looking?

"Not as good as yours birthday girl. The tarot cards tell me you got into the advanced program."

I just watch in mild amusement cause I know where she actually saw it and it wasn't the tarot cards.

"And by "the tarot cards" you mean "Simon's twitter account"?

"Okay, I follow him. Turns out, predicting the future with tarot cards is very complicated. But, I do see a birthday present in your future.

I make my way further into the place to find Jocelyne in the kitchen.

Jocelyne gives me a smile upon seeing me enter the kitchen.

Seeing my serious expression her smile dims a bit.

"Jocelyne Clary has been drawing runes and she still has no idea why haven't you told her? I am the one that's with her all the time protecting her from the truth and the dangers that come with it"

"I... she's drawing runes. how is that? Magnus wiped her memories."

That last part was just barely a whisper but loud enough where I heard her. Those words just fueled my anger.

"You what?! You had her memories wiped!?"

I didn't know whisper yelling was possible but I have achieved it.

"You've had 18 fucking years to tell her but you're too much of a coward to own up to your own mistakes. Instead I'm the one that's keeping her out of this. All while the one person who knows everything won't tell her."

"When she finds out do you know who she's gonna feel betrayed by? Me. So tell her today."

"Tell me what?"

I school my expression back to calm neutrality as Clary approaches.

" tell you I saw that you got into the program. Yay! I'm so proud of you honey."

Jocelyn pulls a present out of a drawer and hands it to Clary. I interrupt before they have a moment

Clean I have to go get ready for tonight I'll see you later ok?"

"Ok. See you then."
---------------------------------------------------
Picture up top is Rowan's party dress to pandemonium 😝 thanks for reading! 🫶🏼