a bond like no other

Kagehara Nanami wandered through the dense forest as usual, keeping an eye out for any injured animals that need help. As the village outcast, this was how he spent most of his days. While others in the village saw dragons as beasts to be slaughtered, Kagehara saw them as intelligent, beautiful creatures. Even when he was a child, he would sneak off to the treelines to watch them soar from afar while the other children played. He always longed to understand them in a way no other could.

While pushing aside a bush, the healer heard a faint rumbling whimper in the distance. Following the sound, he came upon a small clearing in disbelief. Lying in the tall grass was a dragon the likes of which he had only heard rumors of — a Night Fury. Its obsidian scales blended perfectly into the night sky were it not for the crimson blood staining its side. Two large bat-like wings were folded close to itself, one bent at an unnatural angle. Though injured, Kagehara could sense that its power and intelligence surpassed any other. Bright blue eyes fixed on him, filled with pain and fear.

Kagehara couldn't just walk away. No, he had to do something. This was his calling. The hunters were probably on their way to retrieve her after shooting her down, anyway. He approached cautious and slow, not wanting to startle the dragon any more than she probably already was. Her eyes warily watched his every move, too weak to break free of the ropes or defend herself. He slightly raises his hands, murmuring softly; "it's okay, I'm here to help, I promise," to which the Night Fury lets her head fall to the ground with a soft thud.

Carefully, he untangles the bolas, some being too complicated and needing to be cut away with his knife. Opening up a pocket from his belt, he begins to tend to her wounds with healing salves, feeling the wary and watchful blue eyes on him the entire time. She surprisingly didn't resist, though.

Once finished, Kagehara pulls back and kneels close by to overlook his work and observe the dragon. "You're a rare one. I've never seen a Night Fury up close before," he murmurs, and watches as she blinks slow at him, almost as if she understands his words. As they made eye contact, a connection passed between them. And in that moment Kagehara knew he had to protect this dragon. Whether it was to simply give it a place to heal or stick by it for life, he knew this was indeed his calling.

Though she was exhausted and injured, she reluctantly followed Kagehara to a secluded cave where she could heal. For weeks he took care of her, brought her food and healing supplies to make sure she has a safe recovery. Each day the dragon seemed to become stronger and more comfortable. Soon, one day that Kagehara will never forget, she allowed him to pet her and eventually limped her heavy head onto his lap.

"Aren't you something special?" Kagehara smiles as he strokes a hand over her sleek obsidian scales. "How about... I call you Echo?" A soft croon is her only response, but it was all the affirmation Kagehara needed — this incredible dragon has officially chosen him as her friend. "It's okay. You'll be alright now. I'll take care of you."

With Echo now fully healed, Kagehara was eager to spend more time exploring their friendship and what they can do. Each day they explored the forest together, with Echo allowing Kagehara to learn about her abilities. She was by far the most intelligent and responsive dragon he's ever encountered. She allowed him to feed her by hand, stroke her scales, and even sleep nestled under her wing at night. Though still cautious around other humans, Echo began to view Kagehara as her flock. After her wing had healed she allowed him to fly on her back for the first time. It was an incredible experience for both of them, to soar freely through the blue skies during the day.

Early one morning, Kagehara sprinted out of his cabin with a fresh idea. Echo followed in confusion as he gathered supplies from around the island — thick leather, woven ropes, various metals and fastenings. The dragon's blue orbs fixated on Kagehara's sketches in the dirt and his small notebook off to the side, a soft noise of curiosity rumbling from her throat. "What do ya think?" He asks with a smile, glancing over at her. She soon simply nods her head along with his ramblings as if she understood every word.

Under Echo's watchful eye, Kagehara worked hard at fashioning greaves, a chest plate, and a tail guard uniquely fitted to her frame. She seemed to understand his care and focus and remained still during the fitting process. The final piece was a comfortable saddle padded with downy feathers for long flights. Small pouches were added along the sides to hold supplies for their journeys, such as herbs, berries or fish. The saddle was extra plush for Echo's comfort. He had carved intricate designs into the metal armor, which were also painted black with grinded Night Fury scales from Echo's sheds and dragon saliva. Hey, normal paint was hard to come across these days.

When the armor and gear were completed, Kagehara turned to Echo with a grin. "Ready, girl?" With a noise of excitement, Echo stood still and allowed him to fit everything onto her. She looked exquisite, perfectly matching her lithe yet powerful form and fitting like a second skin. As he stepped back to admire his work, Echo darted about eagerly, getting used to the new sensations. With pride, Kagehara realized how well they work together – man and dragon as one cohesive team. Echo tossed her head proudly as well, stretching her wings to admire the craftsmanship.

That evening, Echo affectionately nudged Kagehara and lowered herself, inviting him onto the saddle with a rumbling sound. As he got on, she wasted no time to leap into the air, shooting the both of them into the star-filled night sky. It was incredible and seriously magical — the wind in his hair, Echo's strong wings beating below him, the stars and aurora borealis shining above them. From that moment, he knew he was bonded with her for life, and that their adventures were just beginning.