Prologue.

Night had fallen on Asgardia, the town surrounding the castle still bustling and brimming with life. Through the holes in the ceiling sat the barrier, to which moonlight shone down onto the vast mountains and valleys that ran through this part of the underground. A festival was being held for the knights who were set to go into battle against the neighboring kingdom called "Canavia" in the coming week. The townspeople praised the knights with gold coins and flowers as they walked past along with good luck charms for the road ahead of them. Taverns had opened their doors late for the guard, who were welcomed with open arms and a drink shoved into their hand.

At one of the taverns closest to the castle, a tall white rabbit sat at the bar with a small glass of whiskey held in her paw. Alongside her sat a bat who was equally as tall as her, holding onto the handle of a large keg of beer. Both of them wore cloaks to conceal who they were to the rest of the tavern. The bat turned to look at the rabbit and gave her a toothy grin, resting his elbow on the counter with his hand on his cheek.

"Hey, V. Aren't you feeling happy? It's about time we did something fun for once."

Vivian would turn her chair towards him, swirling the drink around in her glass as her attention focused from the rest of the guard in the tavern to her dear friend. Zephyr leaned back into his chair, taking a drink from the keg before adding to what he was saying.

"It's a good change of pace from all our training and whatnot. Glad I can finally catch a break before we go out."

"Mhm. Normally I avoid a crowd like this since the noise hurts my ears, but I have to agree with you that being here is quite fun." Vivian responded, taking a sip before her eyes wandered back to the full tables surrounding them. Minutes passed with the two relaxing in their seats before a predictable fight between two guard members broke out a couple of tables away from them. Vivian sighed deeply and got up from her chair.

"V, cmon! We don't need to interfere. They're dumbasses. They'll figure it out."

"Let me have my fun, Zeph. I'm sure the look on their faces will amuse you anyway." 

She chuckled before walking over to where the fight was occurring with more and more of the guard joining in. Before she knew it, it was a full on BRAWL. Vivian stood amidst the chaos with folded arms and watched, Zephyr in the background with his boots kicked up onto the bar and the biggest grin on his face. Reaching up, she unveiled herself and stared at the two who initially started the fight. It didn't take long for most of them to notice that the chief was there, almost the entire bar stopping in their tracks and moving out of the way so she could reach the two. Slowly, she approached them while thumbing over the edge of her cloak.

The two were shaking like leaves when they realized the chief was looking straight at them, their feet now tightly together and saluting her with their hands wavering in their place.

"Didn't I warn you all of the consequences of fighting in public? ..You two aren't the only ones who I've caught fighting tonight."

Vivian was initially going to let them off with a warning since they seemed rather new to the guard and she didn't want to punish them over something as stupid as a fight, however, she thought of a better idea instead. She grinned. Zephyr could barely hold in his laughter.

"As punishment, both of you will be working together to clean the barracks. Every. Square. Inch of them. Don't worry, you two won't be doing it alone. Take this as a lesson for both of you. Remember, you represent the guard. Don't make me regret accepting you both in."

After the two quickly apologized to her, she turned around and started to make her way out of the tavern, Zephyr noticed that she was taking her leave and quickly chugged the rest of his beer. Now walking alongside her down the brick roads in the town towards the castle, he laughed as she mentioned how they looked like their souls would leave their bodies. 

For the most part after having a good laugh about what happened in the tavern, they had gone quiet. Enjoying the company of one another and the silence that followed.

By the time they had arrived to their barracks they had already said goodnight and went their separate ways. Zephyr undressed himself and got into more comfier clothing, falling asleep almost as soon as his head hit the pillow. For Vivian, however, she had to do her job as the chief. Endlessly checking over the map given to her by informants sent by the king to scope out Canavia. Of course in her own opinion, taking land from another place that they had good relations with wasn't very smart on his end with all the missed opportunities, but all she could do is follow orders. That's why she was given her position in the first place.

She moved a few markers around the map in order to get a better understanding of who should be placed where, along with a plan B incase things went south on their ends.

Minutes passed. Then hours. By the time she was done with perfecting the plans to the best of her ability, the sun had rose. Eventually, she had fallen asleep at her desk, her reading glasses had since fallen onto the floor. Since the festival was to be active for another day, she'd spend it sleeping.

This was going to be a long week for her.

(Editors note: this might be edited every once and a while when I come back to it. Stay tuned for more chapters!)