xix. the cottage

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

THE WEASLEYS WERE BEING WATCHED CLOSELY, but they still had some freedoms for the time being. They were able to speak freely in their home and their visitors never brought a Death Eater calling so long as that person was not wanted. Because of this, Remus, Tonks, and Kingsley were able to visit rather frequently. At the precise time Kates Kinley was speaking with Ares Carrow in the garden at Kinley Manor, the Weasleys—Molly, Arthur, Bill, Fleur, Fred, George, and Ginny—were sitting in the living room with Remus and Tonks. They all talked quietly, for even the knowledge that no one could hear them was not enough to bring them comfort.

They were all jumpier than they used to be, so the sound of Apparition just outside the house made them all jump to their feet, wands in hand. They all exchanged glances and, silently, it was decided that Remus and Bill would be the ones to go greet their guest, whoever the hell they were. They left the Burrow and cautiously stepped across the grass toward the figures, for there were two of them: a house elf and a human. Once they were close enough for identification, their eyes widened in surprise.

"Kates?" asked Bill, but he didn't lower his wand. Knowing the protocol well, she had her own drawn, for she wanted to be just as certain as they did. In spite of how strong she looked standing there, her distress was visible, so it was with great gentility that Remus posed the security question.

"When you stayed with Tonks last summer, what concert did she take you to?"

"The Weird Sisters, obviously," she replied, her voice shaky. "They're her favorite." They all lowered their wands and as they all put them away, Tonks—who had evidently been watching from the window—ran across the lawn to meet her. The moment Kates was in her cousin's arms she broke down, holding her tight and sobbing into her chest. No one said anything for a while, and Bill and Remus quietly retreated back into the house.

Several minutes later, Kates crossed the threshold of the Burrow with Tonks' arm around her sympathetically.

"Where's the house elf?" Arthur asked Tonks, for he had watched by the door as the others went out. He put a comforting hand on Kates' shoulder and the gesture clearly brought her a great deal of comfort.

"She freed her," said Tonks with a small smile. "The elf was loyal to the Kinley family, only it was the children, not the parents who she truly served. Good elf, she is."

"She's the reason I managed to get out," said Kates, her voice hoarse. They headed into the living room, and immediately Molly was pulling her into a tight hug, which she returned gratefully. Fred and George were by her side, looking at her worriedly.

"We're glad to see you," said Fred, George picking up where he left off.

"But what happened?"

So she relayed the story to the assembled party, telling them all about Wesley's arrangements for her escape, her decision to stay and get information, and the altercation in the gardens. Once she finished, she looked out at them all from her place on the couch, where she sat between Tonks and Mrs. Weasley with a mince pie in hand, and a full tray on the coffee table in front of her.

"I'll kill him," said George simply.

"Slowly," added Fred, "and painfully."

"It would be what he deserves," muttered Ginny.

"What matters," said Molly firmly, her hand resting comfortingly on Kates' shoulder, "is that she's safe."