fifteen.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

⁺₊ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

111A.C

THE DEATHS OF AEMMA ARRYN AND BAELON TARGARYEN CAST AN INFALLIBLE SHADOW OVER KINGS LANDING. The once vibrant joy that exuded from the Realm's Delight had waned, flooded beneath the waves of her mourning. Had it not been for the unwavering love of her aunt keeping her afloat, Rhaenyra Targaryen would surely have drowned under the weight of her sorrows.

Rhaenyra was not blind to the ways Baela Targaryen had pushed her own sorrows aside in favour of forging herself into an unshakable pillar for her niece to lean on. Rhaenyra saw all too clearly the guilt her aunt carried, believing herself at fault for the late queen's death. All could see that Baela Targaryen's heart had broken when she'd been dragged from Aemma's bedside, all saw how she refused to allow it to begin healing until Rhaenyra's own heart pieced itself back together.

It was with this in mind that the young princess had stormed into the small council's chambers, uncaring of the meeting she had interrupted in doing so.

Word had spread of a petition put before the king by both her beloved aunt and Harwin Strong himself, a petition the king had struck down time and time again. He'd claimed it too soon, that a wedding a mere moon after his queen's passing would be unbecoming of them, a notion no doubt fed to him by his hand who had been openly against the elder princess' choice in soon-to-be husband. Rhaenyra intended to change her father's mind, one way or another.

"My aunt shall wed her intended however soon she desires," It wasn't a request. Rhaenyra refused to leave space for a denial, even under the scrutinizing gaze of the entirety of her father's small council. "You will allow it because I wish it so."

"Rhaenyra," Viserys released a short sigh, his left hand raising to pinch the bridge of his nose.

"You allowed that man to butcher my mother, you forcibly had my aunt removed when all she ever did was fight for my mother's wellbeing and now she is burdened by a guilt that should be yours to carry!" Her words were sharp, cutting deep as the princess stared her father down. Rhaenyra Targaryen looked every bit like the dragon she truly was. "You will do her this kindness or I shall never find it within myself to forgive you for the role you played in my mother's death."

A solemn nod was all the response she waited for before turning on her heels, and leaving the suffocating confines of the council chambers. Moving with purpose, Rhaenyra sought out those closest to her beloved aunt.

⁺₊ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

THE WEDDING OF SER HARWIN STRONG TO PRINCESS BAELA ALYSANNE TARGARYEN WAS, BY ALL ACCOUNTS, A PRIVATE AFFAIR. Its attendants amounted to a measly six, only those Rhaenyra had deemed worthy of witnessing the marriage of her aunt being summoned before the septon. Had there been more time, and had her uncle not been newly exiled once again, perhaps Daemon Targaryen and Lady Rhea Royce might have been invited too.

Imitating that of a grander event those in attendance had divided themselves up, standing as though there were rows of pews on either side of an invisible aisle. To the right accompanying Rhaenyra herself were Alicent Hightower, gentle smiles dancing upon both girls' features, and the king's guard Josian Elesham who grinned bashfully beside them. To the left, wearing near-identical prideful smiles, Lyonel and Rylan Strong stood with Tayla Parne whose own beaming smile never waivered as the septon began.

"We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife: one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever." As the Septon spoke Baela, despite the heaviness that had weighed down on her shoulders with the passing moon, found herself exchanging small smiles with the man beside her. With their hands clasped in one another's embrace, the Septon weaved the ceremonial ribbons over their skin with care, all while Baela glanced over her shoulder only to be met with a reassuring nod from her niece. "Let it be known that Baela of house Targaryen and Harwin of house Strong are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."

"In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity." Alicent and Rhaenyra shared a hidden glance, the hold they had on one another tightening ever so slightly as the Septon spoke. "Look upon one another and say the words."

Baela Targaryen had never held faith with the seven, much like Daemon she had always clung to the gods of old Valyria and yet, the Seven were Harwin's gods and she would not shun them- not entirely at least for it was in their name that she were to be joined with the man she loved. With a newfound tolerance for the faith, Baela Targaryen unapologetically named gods she did not truly believe in. "Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger..."

"I am hers and she is mine," Harwin spoke with conviction, his eyes never leaving hers as his grip on her hand grew firmer. "From this day, until the end of my days."

"I am his and he is mine. From this day, until the end of my days."

"With this kiss, I pledge my love." And as Harwin Strong cradled Baela Targaryen's cheek, their lips meeting in an outpouring of a love years in the making it became evident to all that not even the gods themselves held the power to tear them apart.

Baela Targaryen and Harwin Strong were unshakable. May the Gods grant mercy upon any who believed otherwise.

⁺₊ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

Beth's notes:

Beth's notes:

Rhaenyra is an aunties girl and we love that for her.

Nyra and Ali af during the wedding: 👀🫦 (Make of that what you will...)

"Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."- Larys, Otto, buddies (derogatory) the Septon's talking to you...

I'm not really vibing with how I wrote this chapter so I might revise it later (who am I kidding, no my lazy ass won't) but it'll do for now. On another note- please don't ask for smut. I'm not comfortable writing it so it ain't happening, sorry not sorry.

Thanks for reading!