Chapter 1

Was I the only one left? My gun's loaded. I'm searching for my team... I look round a corner of a building that's been bombed, no one's there. A little boy wearing clothes with holes in runs past me "Go find shelter. It's not safe out here" I say, the kid nods and carries on running.
A few minutes later, I arrive at a bridge that's been destroyed during this war. I can see something in the distance, the gun in my hand has been raised pointing at the figure in the distance. "Hands up or I will shoot." It doesn't put their hands up. I walk further my gun still pointed up. "I SAID PUT YOUR HANDS UP." I shout getting closer. As I get closer I notice the figure has a soldier uniform on and a broken piece of a metal support beam going right through them. I turn my body to face them, trying not to fall off the bridge.

I see who it is. Recognising him immediately, I go on coms to report the death. "The Commander is... Dead, I repeat Commander Carson is dead."
Everything goes pitch black.
They take off the headset "You sure that was a test it fell so real. I wonder how the rest of the team did." I turn around and see a bunch of people staring at me "Come on spit out. What happened?" I say to the people. A General walks through the crowd of people towards me and says "Sergeant River... that umm. That was not a test you were out scouting the area with the team and Commander Carson. Yes you weren't there in person as well as everyone else. But Carson wasn't there electronically by headset and he was actually there in person."

"So the Commander is actually dead. But everyone else on the team is alive" I say in a worried and shocked tone of voice. The General nods and three guards take me to a private room where I see the team alive. Well not everyone is there. "The Commander is dead, I found him on a bridge that was destroyed with a metal support beam straight through him." Said River, who looks at the team. The team looks shocked, mad or upset.
"Commander Carson is dead. Get over it. We die fighting in wars that's who we are." Says James, "James, have some respect will you" says Rosie. "Respect your kidding right. Come on. If the Commander was here still alive you wouldn't have told him that." Everyone starts arguing beside me and Carter. "What now? We don't have a Commander." Says Carter, "I don't know. I need to think" I reply.

The room gets louder and louder with everyone yelling and arguing. "SHUT IT" I shout to everyone, the room goes quiet and everyone sits back down. "James is right and so is Rosie. We don't have a Commander anymore because he's dead. I don't know if we will get a new one or not, so in the meantime. Can we please for once work as a team without arguing. Rosie no one would have told the Commander to show respect so I agree with James. Yes the Commander is dead. We all knew the price of being in the army the day we joined, so did Carson. We all know if he was still here with us and we lost one of are own he would have said 'That's the life of being a soldier, if you don't like it deal with it or leave.'" I say before walking out the door and heading for the buildings only exit and entrance.

I step outside and scream and say "Why you Carson? We need you, come back to us."

I hear something behind me. I turn my head to see who it is, it's the General. "So what you gonna do now Sargent River" says the General.