Defined By Rank

The rain is falling gently outside. I can hear the soft patter from my slightly open window. I sit up, glancing at my alarm clock, which is only three minutes away from ringing. Today is Wednesday, marking the halfway point of the week. The Commencing Dance is tonight at 6ish, where Derrick Ellsworth is expected to meet his mate. It's no secret that Diana, who has been dating Derrick for over six years and shares a daughter named Milly, is the one he will be pared to.

However, if one were to inquire with Franny, she would assert that Derrick and Diana are merely two fleeting sparks destined to fade away. Every unattached female aspires to become his chosen partner... except for me. I must confess, he is a replica of his father, signifying that this pack will persist in its ruinous ways, and I refuse to be associated with it. I have absolutely no intentions of remaining here; my departure documents have already been signed and officially certified by King Charles. I could leave tonight if I wanted to. . . .but I have to be gone by Sunday.

As of April 12th, 2025, I will be emancipated. The upcoming week seems too lengthy in my opinion. Despite my ability to transform, I am not associated with the Mystic Crimson Pack. This pack is disintegrating, divided by hierarchy and social standing, which is not ideal. It is a lost cause; only a member of the Royal family or a Beta could initiate change within this community. Even then, it would take centuries to implement any significant transformation.

The ability to shapeshift is truly extraordinary, as it allows one to effortlessly transition between human and animal form, a talent that many humans yearn for. Currently, I find myself predominantly human rather than a mere creature. It has been quite some time since I last allowed Kia, my animal form, to roam freely.

I have been aware for a long time that my departure from Davenport is inevitable. To leave a Pack, it is necessary to obtain the King's approval. Being an unmated individual, considered a Mutt, and unwanted, it becomes easier for me to decide to finalize the necessary paperwork. However, I am fully aware that once I leave, there is no possibility of returning. I will be immediately executed as a trespasser, perceived as the enemy.

And I am okay with those rules. I have no intention to return.

However, I still have one week remaining before my departure. It shouldn't be difficult to get through this week. I have already packed everything except for my essentials. As I glance around my room, it already appears empty. "You should consider attending the dance," Franny suggests as she stands by the doorway. "This dance is open to everyone, and you never know what might happen." Franny, who is an Echo, is the proprietor of this orphanage. She is certain that I will find my other half," which is another reason a lot of single members attend.

I face her, eagerly anticipating the day when I can sleep without setting an alarm. "I will decline," I declare as I put on my shirt. "I'm not one for dancing," I confess, understanding her implication. Franny believes that Derrick will develop a strong attachment to someone other than Diana, possibly Kayla or Eliza, and I sincerely hope that's not the case for their well-being. Derrick is not a decent man; he is perilous and views women as mere targets for violence and exploitation.

Every single female is busy preparing themselves eagerly for the opportunity to be chosen by Derrick Ellsworth as his mate, his Luna. *Disgusted expression* Well, if that's what brings them joy, then I suppose it's a positive thing for them. While everyone else was dedicating a day and a half to their appearance, I was at the Soup Kitchen, procuring meals for the less fortunate Mutts and their families. I will be there again tonight preparing for tomorrow night.

I pick up my backpack and switch off the light in my room, ready to get through the day. Cady walks by, clearing her throat before suggesting, "Perhaps you should consider taking a break and focusing on addressing that," as she gestures towards my appearance with her hand. She then proceeds to make additional hand movements towards my face and hair, adding, "A little makeup never harmed anyone," she remarks with a playful smile but a hint of sarcasm.