Chapter 45

"My lady, please let other healers do this"  minji suggested calling other healer

"No. I am his wife. It's a wife's duty to serve her husband." Chaeyoung shook her head stubbornly.

She turned to her, her eyes tearing up. “What has the healer done before? They have hesitated and consulted each other, and looked ponderous and knowledgeable. Yet, not one of them has given the emperor the right treatment as the situation demands. They are all afraid that if they make a diagnostic error in detecting poison and the Emperor dies, the weight of his death will lie over them. What use are they? Don't you see what they did to my Jungkook?”

Minji argued more with her; chaeyoung did not listen. She would make Jungkook better. He would not die. He could not die.

"My lady . But you haven't changed your clothes yet. You are still in ordinary clothes" minji notified chaeyoung. The thought has been bothering him for quite some time.

"Just shut up!!" Chaeyoung's voice shook, but her hands were study as continued to apply more amount of salve all over his chest. Only God knew she is shaking inside.

"My husband is in this state. And you are recommending me to dress up. I don't care what type of robes or jewelries I am wearing. All I care about is him." Shushing minji up chaeyoung made Jungkook drank the antidote she made for him and sat by his bedside through the night and waited and watched.

She heard the sounds of the night watchman’s tapping stick, the song in his voice as the hours turned. Two o’clock. Three o’clock. Then four and five. She did not sleep or speak, and would not allow anyone into the his bedchamber. Though it was the dead of night and no light touched the chamber, She would stare at the man in her arms, trying to make out any discernible feature. She was starved for the sight of the real him, it had been many hours he laying life this lifelessly.

By this time, the whole palace knew, of course. What exactly had happened to the Emperor, no one was sure of, for chaeyoung would not permit anyone to see him. So rumors started to diffuse through corridors. The emperor was mysteriously poisoned when he gone out with princess chaeyoung. He was dying, hovering on the edge of life, kept alive only by the sorceries princess chaeyoung practiced in her apartments. She was battling the demons who had come to take the Emperor away. Amid all these wild stories one theme was constant: What would happen to them? If the emperor Jeon jungkook died, and so soon, without having an heir, without settling his affairs, what would happen to them?

Chaeyoung knelt by her husband's bedside on the bare floor and prayed to all Gods she ever knew.
'God please transfer his pain to me. Let me be the one who suffers. let him be better.' She would not ask for his life, that no one was going to take from her, she prayed that he would get well. That was all she wanted. The bucket load of tears came too, all through the night, drenching her face. She was afraid, terribly, terribly afraid. Questions swirled in her head. What if her antidote failed to work? What if she had been wrong in not calling the other healer? What if her Jungkook did . . . no, she would not take that word even into her thoughts.