52

52 - Withering Possibilities

HADEN

        The days that followed were marked by an eerie calm, like the quiet before a storm. We took advantage of the quiet to focus on training and honing our skills, knowing that we needed to be prepared for whatever challenges lay ahead, which explained my presence in the field today, arms in front of my face to act as a barrier as Conner threw his punches and kicks.

Our movements were fluid and focused, both giving it everything we've got, never holding back. We were preparing for war – we had to be ready for anything and everything.

"Getting a bit soft, Alpha?" Conner taunted as he threw one punch, but as the next one came I quickly grabbed his wrist and twisted, watching his face morph into pain. Then, I twisted and turned as I flipped his body to the floor and had my knee at his throat.

"Well played, Alpha," he barely managed to breathe out as he tapped out.

Smirking, I lifted my weight off him and stood, offering a hand to help him stand. As his eyes locked with mine, a challenge gleamed in his eyes, but before he could say a word, a shout came from my left.

"Finished playing grab-ass?!" Greyson exclaimed with a confident smile on his face and I raised a brow at him, "How about a one-on-one?"

He stepped forward, eager for his turn making me chuckle amused at his challenge.

"Sure you want to be kicked around in front of your men, Greyson?" I rebutted, nodding to Conner who withdrew himself from the field.

Greyson smirked and threw a punch, one I managed to dodge as we circled each other. The tension in the air crackled with anticipation. I could see the determination in his eyes, matched only by my own resolve to prove myself in this duel.

With a swift movement, Greyson launched another attack, his fist aimed directly at me. I countered with a quick block, then retaliated with a series of strikes of my own, each one calculated and precise.

Our movements were a dance of strength and skill, each of us pushing the other to our limits. The sound of our blows echoed through the training grounds, a testament to the intensity of our duel.

Despite Greyson's formidable skill, I held my ground, matching him blow for blow. We were evenly matched, both Alphas willing to back down until one of us emerged victorious.

As the duel continued, I could feel the eyes of the pack watching us, their support fueling my determination. This wasn't just a fight between Greyson and me—it was a demonstration of our readiness and strength, all of us willing to stop at nothing until the threat was eliminated.

"Ah!" a scream came from the far left, a familiar voice that immediately drew Greyson's attention.

Using the opportunity of his distracted figure, I delivered a decisive blow that sent Greyson staggering backwards. With a final, determined effort, I sent a kick to his abdomen, driving home the victory and sending him flat on his back.

I watched in amusement as he slowly peered up to look at me and I folded my arms.

"That doesn't count," he growled lowly, jumping to his feet and marching over to where Natalia was. She was in her own sparring session, lying on her back just as her mate had just seconds ago.

Greyson approached the pair, and I saw the she-wolf cower under his harsh glare before she scurried away. Greyson turned to look down at Natalia, a blank expression on his face. The look they shared reminded me of the early days of my relationship with Zara; defiance and destruction.